Shops that grind ways in New England

Anyone familiar with DH Machine Services/Gallery of Machines in NY? I've left them a couple voicemails over a couple weeks and haven't heard back. Seems like a place that might be interested in this sort of work but maybe not.

Who ever grinds the bed tell them to grind off the same amount off booth sides of the V's. Also ask them to mark on the ways or send a sketch showing how much they grind off. You should measure it before hand too.

Wondering if there are any shops that grind lathe ways in New England? I'm considering have some work done on a lathe I picked up cheep enough I don't mind putting a little work into making it just right (48in bed Clausing with hardened ways). Most of the shops I've seen mentioned are in the midwest it seems. I got a quote from one if NJ for $1500, Forest City said $350-500. Hoping to find something closer to the Forest City price closer to home.
I don’t know if they grind lathe ways, but there is an outfit in Smithfield RI called mechanics machine or something like that, I was going to have some hard grinder ways ground. Could be worth a call

Searching the forum, this thread came closest to solving my query: where to find an outfit in New England that would grind the ways on my Clausing 5914. Unfortunately, of those mentioned, one no longer does this service, one only services Hardinge, and others haven't answered. Does anyone have any leads that might help out? We can transport ourselves in New England and would prefer to do that vs shipping. Trouble is, this seemed like a good buy, but our inexperience and a less than forthcoming seller led us astray. We are making the best of it we can. Any advice happily accepted.

Wondering if there are any shops that grind lathe ways in New England? I'm considering have some work done on a lathe I picked up cheep enough I don't mind putting a little work into making it just right (48in bed Clausing with hardened ways). Most of the shops I've seen mentioned are in the midwest it seems. I got a quote from one if NJ for $1500, Forest City said $350-500. Hoping to find something closer to the Forest City price closer to home.
Maybe try Mechanics Machine in Smithfield Rhode Island

P&B sure sounds like a winner- not many around like them

I went down this same rabbit hole trying to find a shop that would recondition the ways on my 10L. As you are finding - few and far between. I'm a little over an hour east from you and also preferred to transport vs ship. I talked to Cavco and they were waaaay outside of budget (probably the go-away quote) AMT in NJ was reasonable - base pricing was simple grinding the way - then the add on's (saddle, CS, TS) and then the Moglice brought it up to a bit over $2k. (Cavco was more than double) I was on the verge of driving to NJ (LOL) when I stumbled on to a lead from another member and found a gentleman in NH that planes / scrapes. Price was cray good and the work was outstanding. Your hardened ways preclude planing which unfortunately narrows your options. I have heard really good things about Mechanics Machine - but I don't know their pricing schedule.

I went down this same rabbit hole trying to find a shop that would recondition the ways on my 10L. As you are finding - few and far between. I'm a little over an hour east from you and also preferred to transport vs ship. I talked to Cavco and they were waaaay outside of budget (probably the go-away quote) AMT in NJ was reasonable - base pricing was simple grinding the way - then the add on's (saddle, CS, TS) and then the Moglice brought it up to a bit over $2k. (Cavco was more than double) I was on the verge of driving to NJ (LOL) when I stumbled on to a lead from another member and found a gentleman in NH that planes / scrapes. Price was cray good and the work was outstanding. Your hardened ways preclude planing which unfortunately narrows your options. I have heard really good things about Mechanics Machine - but I don't know their pricing schedule.
Thanks for your reply. Could you send the contact information for the NH gentleman?

Back