Shovel head.

lordbeezer

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Picked up a FLH stripped frame with shovel head engine minus cylinder heads which I already have. Aftermarket cases. Andrews cam. Have most parts to build bike. Gonna tear down engine and rebuild. This is to replace big red my Harley I had for 35 years. Went to sturgis in 87. Long ways from NC. Many beach and road trips. Doctors advised I might want to move stuff down the road due to stage 4 cancer with them being concerned about my longevity. Course I’m happy to still be here always hated the fact I sold my bike. So I’m gonna build one. Not as a replacement but it’s own identity if that makes sense.

Attachments

• 020F0930-546B-4FA7-B07F-32A288C0A6E3.jpeg
    020F0930-546B-4FA7-B07F-32A288C0A6E3.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 15EAB61C-AA2A-4E69-BEED-88C749DFB420.jpeg
    15EAB61C-AA2A-4E69-BEED-88C749DFB420.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 29
Good for you! That attitude will lengthen your time on this mortal coil. The best of luck in the hew year.

Last edited:
My doctors fixed me up pretty good. Like vet treating heart worms. Damn near kill the dog to get rid of worms. My regular doctor sending me back to cancer doctors due to something in my blood work she doesn’t like. Maybe I ate too many tamales. Yes on build. Been digging thru parts finding all kinds of stuff. Wife thinks I’ve gone nuts. She could be right.

Wives think funny sometimes. Keep us posted on that shovelhead.
FL frame?
I like flatside tanks better than the old style. Point you're at, you might be able to fab the brackets you'd need to mount them. They seem to be less likely to leak with no threaded bungs for mounting.

Super cool, I have always had a passion for motorcycles,, which brand makes no difference .
I have owned several Shovels
I had a 1978 1/2 75th 1200 cc Anniversary FLH. @ the time AMC had Harley Davison, The engine was total crap at 20.000 miles
A fat boy on a tricycle could out run the bike.
Took the bike to HD to have them rebuild the engine,, I don't think the bike went 50 miles and started blowing blue smoke.
The female roller rod bearings way too loose and the pistons were slapping
Perplexed I bought the 93 inch Pro comp kit. with SS sidewinder barrels. and a friend who has the worlds recorder holder of the 3 flags run ona harley rebuilt the engine
I had to machine the cases, kept the oil pump engine covers and tossed everything else. I bought a Andrews B Grind cam
The engine was to tall to fit in the frame by about 0.250 . had to modify the frame also put belt drive on..
Then the SS carb air cleaner rubbed against the 5 gallon fat Bob tank.
Now the bike ran great,( all animal) but had a Violent high speed wobble at 110 MPH.
Made the swing arm 1.5 inches longer , 2 degree rake on the neck with a 2 in over on the front fork down tubes. That fixed the wobble.
2 more issues is the FHL tranny which i guess is great if you want pull a trailer and shift twice just go across a 2 lane road .
And the Promo belt drive 1 1/4 electric start belt will not hold up to a stroker HD.....
I went 25 tooth engine 25 tooth tranny and a 47 on the rear wheel Before it was 22, 22 55.
All was well right up to the point I decided use the R brake at 110 MPH .
That was scary seeing the brake rotor glow and explode ripping the calipers off and for split second locking up the rear wheel.
Thats when my bike got Honda V65 brake system.
I put allot of money into that bike.
AMC didn't do H D reputation of being a great motorcycle any good.
Good luck with the build ..

Keep the rubber side up.

Back