Shovel head.

Used to ride with a guy claimed he had a 78 1/2 model HD. Always working on it, but made it to Sturgis a couple of times........

Not sure of the model, but here is is/was.......

View attachment 445265
ALL THE 1978 1/2 75TH ANNIVERSITY FLH' were black baggers with gold pin stripping
1682105888103.png

I believe only 2200 of them made

Got lucky on big red my old bike. Built late 80. Harley executives made AMF tighten up their production lines. Specs before buying back. Put few over 40,000 miles on bike.then Rebuilt top end just because. Replaced 3.5 tanks with 5 gallon. Wide glide front end. Other mods.

Attachments

• 2AF68CDB-9EEC-4407-A96F-5C9C91CC63E6.jpeg
    2AF68CDB-9EEC-4407-A96F-5C9C91CC63E6.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 12
Bike still going strong for friend that bought her(it) .. bought the 57 sportster hard bags. Oil tank. Few other parts he replaced with different styles so could have parts I have history with

Good for you. Having something to do that you love is always good for the head, and often good for the body too. Cheers, Mike

Not yet. Still working on it. Trying to be patient while he decides what he’s gonna do which is hard cause I’m not the patient type. Still digging out parts when I run across them.

Not sure until get what I have into a pile. Know gotta get complete gasket set. Maybe pushrod covers. Gonna make rear split tank mounts. Guy cut off to use on another bike. Rear brake caliper and mount. Pipes not sure about yet. Have sheet metal. Complete primary setup including 5 sp trans off a evo. All tanks I have are 3.5 gallon. Prefer 5 gallon but that can come later. If guy doesn’t come thru with 66 engine real soon gonna go with what I have.

Gaskets...I have used Cometic (spelling?) several times in the past. I'm very impressed with them. Worth the expense.

Back