Show us your Atlas lathe setup!

IMHO, there's nothing wrong in posting a few "before" or "as received and/or bought" pics to give the viewer something to compare the pretty pics to. Just sayin.:))

Hey guys, ya'll have a newbie in your midst, but anyway, here's my "newsed" 101.27440 Crafstman/Atlas 12"x36" lathe. I think I got taken on it a little bit @ $1250, but it's mine. It came with a 3-jaw chuck, steady rest, follower rest, rocker tool post (missing the rocker!), and handfull of misc. stuff. The guy is also supposed to send me an extra 5-jaw chuck once he gets it back from his buddy who borrowed it. The machine is missing the lead screw support parts, has a broken traverse gear case, and a couple of the gears on the tumbler are worn out, so it looks like Clausing is going to be getting a little chunk of my hard-earned cash.

IMG_20131019_162915_262_zpsea2b0257.jpg

IMG_20131019_162859_718_zpsb8e9f879.jpg

IMG_20131019_162915_262_zpsea2b0257.jpg

IMG_20131019_162859_718_zpsb8e9f879.jpg

Here's mine the day I bought in the guy's garage. I paid 1350.00 for it. He wanted 1450.00.
I have since bought a QCTP for it, had to shim the tail stock .008 to bring it to center and have turned some small pieces like thumb knobs, bushings for my Norton, an axle for a RC race car.
I've tried threading and although the nut did thread on it was real rough. I have since bought books on threading. Boy was I doing that wrong.
Guy

lathe_zpsade6a91f.jpg

lathe_zpsade6a91f.jpg

Here is my little Craftsman/Atlas 12x36.
It sits on a home-made bench under the pallet rack storage in my workshop.

i-NZvdbGj-M.jpg
i-4vGBhVH-M.jpg
i-qLgDsrV-M.jpg

It was in very good condition when I bought it a few years ago for $600.
All I have done so far is to replace the cross-feed brass nut and adjust all of the gibs to snug it up a little.

I still need to replace the carriage traverse gears, as they have a bit of slop in them.
It also came with a pile of tooling and accessories, some of which don't go with the lathe at all, but were included:
i-bd758Qt-M.jpg
i-6zRVq5M-M.jpg

Since I have a mill, and didn't need the milling attachment, I sold it for more than half of what I paid for the whole package.

I have done a few amateur jobs on the lathe and am slowly gaining some experience on operating it.

i-NZvdbGj-M.jpg

i-4vGBhVH-M.jpg

i-qLgDsrV-M.jpg

i-bd758Qt-M.jpg

i-6zRVq5M-M.jpg

Here is my TH54, I bought the lathe with a bunch of other stuff and after I liquidated the other stuff I didn't need I ended up with a free lathe and made a little extra to buy some toys to go with the lathe. I have acquired an assortment of 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a milling attachment, plus a boring table and I am always looking for more attachments and tooling. Someday down the road I want to mount it on a nice bench or tool cabinet with some storage under it.

Live steam 074.jpg

Here is my Craftsman 101.21200, it's little, but you can still do some good work with it. I bought it from the first owner who had most of the accessories for it. One of the reasons I wanted a MK1 or MK2 type 6" Lathe was because the Benchmaster mill I already had has a 2MT spindle, and I could share some tooling between them. I also already had a Unimat DB-200 with a A2Z quick change tool post that also can be used on either the Craftsman or Unimat. I placed a wanted ad on Craigslist and got a call about 1 week later and ended up buying it. Then I also got another reply for another MK2 lathe, and it happened to have some of the missing items I needed, so I bought that one too, and turned around and sold it for what I payed for it, minus what I needed of course ;)

lathe-1.png

accesories.png

Here is my Craftsman 101.21200, it's little, but you can still do some good work with it. I bought it from the first owner who had most of the accessories for it. One of the reasons I wanted a MK1 or MK2 type 6" Lathe was because the Benchmaster mill I already had has a 2MT spindle, and I could share some tooling between them. I also already had a Unimat DB-200 with a A2Z quick change tool post that also can be used on either the Craftsman or Unimat. I placed a wanted ad on Craigslist and got a call about 1 week later and ended up buying it. Then I also got another reply for another MK2 lathe, and it happened to have some of the missing items I needed, so I bought that one too, and turned around and sold it for what I payed for it, minus what I needed of course ;)

What a score! That's a really clean lathe. And a boat load of tooling to boot.

That's worthy of a gloat!

My grandfather bought this old Atlas used back in the 40's, then uncle had it for another 30 years before I inherited it. The ways were pretty well worn, I hand scraped approximately .025" off. Here is an early photo of the bed after I started:

Image31.jpg

The carriage had about a .012" curvature ad the cross slide was at about .012". I surface ground any parts that would fit on my 6x18" grinder.

Image42.jpg

I had to relieve the rear saddle hold down to get the right pressure on the gibb.

Image46.jpg

I don't have any photos of it that show the splash pan in place or the collet rack setup, I've only used it once in the last 4 or 5 years and it's pretty dusty now.

I've posted my altas th54 before but here it is again.

IMG-20130203-00024.jpgIMG-20130203-00022.jpg

And here is the new one with cqgb that I am picking up Sat.

$_20.JPG

I'll figure out which one is best, most likely my current one, if so then I will swap out the qcgb from the new one and restore it and sell it.

IMG-20130203-00024.jpg IMG-20130203-00022.jpg $_20.JPG

Back