Show us your garden

I think apple trees require a freeze. Check with a nursery for your area.
I live in a cooler climate. I tried a "hardy" peach. Lasted 4 years. Things that will survive our winter chills: spinach, chives, some onions, rhubarb, horse radish, asparagus. Where you are should allow successive plantings of some crops.
Thank you. Found some local information... I would need to plant two apple trees for this to work...

"A few apple cultivars with a low-chilling requirement can be successfully grown in Central Florida by homeowners. Anna and Dorsett Golden are the apple cultivars most frequently grown in Marion County (where I live). They have a chilling requirement of 250 to 300 hours, but with a high heat requirement that delays bloom, which means that they can be grown in Ocala and northward in Florida. These cultivars are not self-fruitful; thus more than one cultivar should be planted together for cross-pollination. Tropic Sweet is a new patented cultivar from the University of Florida breeding program. All three varieties (Anna, Dorsett Golden, Tropic Sweet) serve as pollenizers to each other. In other words, you will need to plant at least two apple trees of different cultivars."

Forgot about pears!

"Pear trees grow very nicely here. You just have to have patience. They will not provide an abundance of fruit for the first five to seven years, but once established can be abundant producers. They are good looking trees and beautiful when flowering. Like apple trees, if an early frost kills the first bloom, they will bloom again."

Some varieties of pear do great here. After a slow start have great yields.
All fruit tress seem do better with pruning!

Apples require 600 - 800 chilling hours. You can check chill hours by zip code but don't think you got that much. years ago, my sister had an apple tree in Newberry, near Gainesville. I do not remember it ever fruiting.

Thank you both. So looks like I will go with a pear tree first.

Another option is pecans, My sister got bushels of them every year.

Back