Show us your garden

I started this thread to try to keep in touch during the summer, but when it's nice outside the computer has a very low priority, so I'm going to finish it off as what I did on my summer "vacation". I cleaned up the back yard, and helped a friend who was moving clean up his lot and ended up with enough scrap metal to fill my trailer and justify a trip to the shredder. Part of the the cleanup bounty was these 16 ton Duff Norton screw jacks, I don't know what I'll do with them, but they were just too nice to scrap, I also got a 2766 to 1 gear reducer, it has a intermittent duty 120 volt, and the output shaft turns at 12 RPM. My friend told me it was for the traveling screen on a river pump intake. Supper time, more tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 30
Hey , I see a Pinto ! :encourage: Hopefully , I cut the grass for the last time today .

We're not discussing how our tomato patch turned out this year. It was pitiful.
In years past since we moved here we've been planting 6-8 plants in a strip up close to the house to keep the varmints at bay.
And in years past we pickup our plants at a local church rummage sale that happens in May.
Well with the virus that sale didn't happen this year. Picked up six plants at HD. Darn costly!
They didn't perform well. Thankfully there's a number of local farmers around here that know how to do it up correctly.
We have four tomatoes left on the counter to eat this week. :cool:

I start my tomatoes from seed in March, then out to the green house in April. This year bought seed at the local hardware store, small tomatoes that never went real red, more orange and got black spots on them. Poor crop.
Grow hot peppers in the green house all summer, bumper crop of them this year.
Pathetic garlic crop again, huge tops, small cloves, switched seed this fall, see if next year is any beter, plant about 400 cloves.

Greg

I also spend more time enjoying the summer outdoors or in my vegetable garden, I keep most of my hobby shop time for the cold winter. I wish I had a huge garden plot like, your place looks amazing. I live in city and have limit garden space but I use every inch of it and very close to each other. I like to try new crop, I grow lettuce , kale, mizuna, goulaga, couve, spinach, malabar,chard, garlic, carrots, chuffa nut, ochra, tomatillo, tomatoes, eggplant, cabbage, green purple yellow beans, sun flower, zuchini, sorel, walking oinions, chives, peppers, cucumber ..........
I also install an electric fence to protect my garden but mostly my grape arbor from the raccoons. Finally this year no raccoons was able to climb the arbor. I harvested more than 10 X 5gallon pails of concords and somerset grapes, which I made jelly and juice. Now that the weather has shifted, I have turn the heated floor in the garage and getting ready for some cozy winter project. I plan to restore a Keller die filer and 1956 TRW 500 Triumph.

Attachments

• IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Way back when...
The tool room was up on the mezzanine that went around the shop floor, steam radiators darn near all around also, with those circa 1928 industrial building windows.
The Tool Maker Carl, whom I've mentioned a time or two in other posts, would start tomatoes & pepper seedlings in March in those small Dixie bathroom cups. And they were on ledges by the radiators everywhere.
Then when planting time came he'd pass them out to anyone who wanted them. Never had enough to satisfy demand. :grin:

Hey , I see a Pinto ! :encourage: Hopefully , I cut the grass for the last time today .
Memories - my first car was '78 Pinto. That one looks a little older. Back then, a guy in town had a brown one with aa 289 in it. A sleeper until he fired it up.

My poor little garden is no where near the scale of what you guys have. It is just 6' x 10'. But I do over crown and pack it like mad.
That wall of maters is just 3 plants. Yes the plants are above the rain gutters on the house and this was taken mid summer, they were ll another 3 feet higher yet. and I need a step ladder to pick the tomatoes. One is a cherry tomato monster, We literally got close to 2000 cherry tomatoes off the one plant, And around 150-200 normal tomatoes off the other 2 plants.
In front of the tomatoes are the peppers, Carolina Reapers, Hungarian, Pablano, and Fooled You. Then comes everything else, lettuce, spinach Green, yellow and Purple beans, carrots, radishes, parsley, oregano, onions and garlic. Most of what is in the garden goes into out salsa, We canned 31 quarts of salsa from this little garden.Garden BIG.jpg

Back