Show us your garden

I had a great cucumber year and a mediocre tomato year, blossom end rot, everything else did OK. I added 650 lb of gypsum before my fall till. That ought to fix it. Here's a shot of my garden in July, that's my weeding chair in the foreground. Sorry, no picture, the uploaded file is too large and I don't have file compression software. Many beautiful gardens. I'm attracted to the fresh roasted green Chiles. The shop demanded my attention in July, the Bert transmission for our racecar pushed the yoke bushing out of the tail shaft, I bored it out and replaced it with a needle bearing. I also sold a lot of my Pinto junk and bought a self centering vice for use with round stock or tubing. My only complaint, it doesn't have swivel base, so I can't cut compound angles. I guess there's a project hiding in there.
Memories - my first car was '78 Pinto. That one looks a little older. Back then, a guy in town had a brown one with aa 289 in it. A sleeper until he fired it up.
I think the Pinto is a 71, it has drum brakes on the front, there's another one in the back yard, it is a later model and has an 8 point roll cage we raced Mini Stock for a number of years. It's just an empty hull now, but I can't get rid of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 33
Then the follow block for one of our tube bending dies started to score the materiel, I tried to polish it, but it was too far gone so I tried to re- bore it but couldn't get it to stop chattering so I built it up with weld and tried again and then I threw it in the scrap and bought a new one. Man, if I only had a horizontal mill. And then I got so bored I made a turners cube using some 2 7/8 conveyor head shaft material, must be some pretty good stuff, nice finish and very close to square.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 26
Eugene13, I've also got a Jet mill and have used it to horizonal bore. Much to my surprise it worked great that way. I have a very small garden that I find very relaxing. Even get some good eats. Good crop of 3 kinds of peppers, spinach, chives, leaf lettuce, cucumbers but poor crop of tomatoes. I have to have a rabbit fence to get anything.

Eugene13, I've also got a Jet mill and have used it to horizonal bore. Much to my surprise it worked great that way. I have a very small garden that I find very relaxing. Even get some good eats. Good crop of 3 kinds of peppers, spinach, chives, leaf lettuce, cucumbers but poor crop of tomatoes. I have to have a rabbit fence to get anything.
I've only turned a vertical mill sideways twice in my life, very surprised how easy it is to indicate in. Nexr spring look for some Nitro Cal fertilizer i think you could grow tomato's in gravel with this stuff. I have three cats, they take care of the rabbits.

Actually my wife's garden. I play in the shop, she's in the adjacent garden. Unfortunately, the photos were from this weekend, so no harvest to show.

Most of her beds are raised; 3 courses of 6" block or 24" high. They set on a 3/4" x 1' wide foundation grade plywood base. Blocks are "mortared" with garden-formula construction adhesive. Tops are trimmed out with 8" cedar 1-bys. The watering system is from a hydrant with 4 zones. There's small hoses with nipples drizzling out water in each of the beds.

She's in the process of redoing some of the layouts to make it easier to move around in the garden. She made the initial mistake of just dry-stacking the cinder blocks and some shifting has occurred.

Bruce

20201108_134439.jpg

20201108_134509.jpg

Dateline: Grainger County TN, October 2020
Made a run up there yesterday to pickup the auction items that Honey won. (I didn't score anything...)
Grainger County is known for their tomatoes. And we just happened to drive by one of the larger growers.
I wouldn't want to see their propane bill, there were quite a number of tanks around all the green houses.

1605112390256.png

The garden is flourishing this year with an abundant amount of rain. Here's a couple photos of the
corn crop that is about ripe and a patch of Hubbard and Kabocha squash. Today I started canning some tomatoes
as they are beginning to ripen. It's an all organic garden. My neighbor planted some Roundup ready corn after
killing the weeds off but my stand looks better than his. I think it was planted for attracting deer.

P1030678.JPGP1030679.JPG

Why in the world would you want to attract deer to a garden for Pete's sake??
I'd love to de-attract the darn critters!!
That and the raccoons as well.
Raising Cain with my watermelons and sweet corn every year.
My son had to put up a 10' high fence around his garden plot.
Despite the Colorado and Japanese beetles, it looks like I will have a great potato crop this year.
Dug a few hills the other day and some of the Yukon Gold spuds are in the 1 # 5oz each category!

Back