Show us your garden

Dug a few spuds this morning.
These are part of one of 4 rows, so there will be 3 times as many when they are all dug.
Some hills yielded 3 and 4 of the monsters some over 1.25 pounds each.

We have never had this many big ones before!
These were grown in an entirely new location than before.

Kennebeck, Yukon Gold, Pontiac & Russett

Attachments

• Gardens 2022.jpg
    Gardens 2022.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220829_125509_resized.jpg
    20220829_125509_resized.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220829_125531_resized.jpg
    20220829_125531_resized.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 5
Necessity being the mother of invention, I canned eight quarts of jalapenos in the previous post along with
some other vegetables for a winter supply. I used up some beets as well for the added red color to four
of them. I expect there will be some left come spring unless I give some of it away.

Today on the schedule is the potato harvest so it will be a busy day for me.
P1030691.JPG

Flower bed monster!!

UFO's ARE real!!

Carolyn dug up this from one of her flower beds today.
A real UFO (unidentified Flowering Object)!! Looks to be like something from outta this world, maybe from Area 51??

5 or 6 blossoms on one weird looking enlarged and deformed stem.
The hollow stem has to be 1"+ diameter

Maybe I should have the radiation level checked in that flowerbed??

Attachments

• DSCN8384.JPG
    DSCN8384.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN8383.JPG
    DSCN8383.JPG
    431.6 KB · Views: 10
To me it looks like a malformed dandelion...... ever used any 2,4-D in that area?
I have seen it cause weird changes on things it didn't kill.
Brian

EDIT:
that wikipedia page linked above actually says:
It is a systemic herbicide which kills most broadleaf weeds by causing uncontrolled growth in them

Last edited:
Careful now. That dandelion might be related to the plant in the movie "Little Shop of Horrors". :eek 2:

Bit of a commotion in my garden this morning.
Surprised a couple of thieves stealing my produce
birds1.jpg
Two bower birds were enjoying breakfast till the lorikeets chased them off and totally pigged out.
birds2.jpg

For those that plant these... looking for suggestions.

First year having the place in Ocala (we lived 85 miles further south, in Orlando) Florida, we planted all kinds of tropical fruit or vegetable plants like what we had in Orlando. Well, that was a mistake. The colder weather in Ocala killed everything as soon as the wintertime came along. And look, we tried covering everything during the cold season... different techniques during several years and that did not work either.

So much for being able to plant a mango tree here like we have in the other house. Or bananas... or passion fruits, etc.

So I started looking for something that I could grow in this colder weather. Got two peach trees (different kind). One we purchased as a pretty good size tree. The other we got as a root that comes in a bag.

The large tree is doing great and it is full of peaches. Sure hope all the fruit makes it, can't wait to try those!

Peaches-1.jpeg
Peaches-2.jpeg

The other one, the one that was a root in a bag, after several months, we thought it had died. Only to see that it was actually finally starting to do something... that grew into a 3' tall tree and with the cold weather it lost all its leaves and we are still waiting to see if it comes back again... not holding my breath on that one... but not giving up on it either. Will prune it to see if that helps.

Also got an olive tree... still waiting to see anything from that one, but it is doing well.

The orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and lime trees are stuck... cold weather hits and they take 4-5 steps back... First guava tree died, second one we planted in a big pot and move to the lanai when the cold hits.

Blueberries and blackberries are doing extremely well. So are the pineapples.

I gave up on the raised planters. At least until I build a green house where those are now. The vegetables did great the first year, again, until the cold weather hit.... So a greenhouse will solve that.

But the question I have, for the open areas, what to plant next? We have a lot of sun and heat during the summer. I want something that would bear fruit and not die during the cold weather (no snow, nothing extreme, but we get freeze temperatures, from time to time, during the winter).

Do you think and apple tree would do well? I used to love picking those from my aunt's yard when I lived in Lorain, Ohio.

Last edited:
Do you think and apple tree would do well?
I think apple trees require a freeze. Check with a nursery for your area.
I live in a cooler climate. I tried a "hardy" peach. Lasted 4 years. Things that will survive our winter chills: spinach, chives, some onions, rhubarb, horse radish, asparagus. Where you are should allow successive plantings of some crops.

Back