Show us your Logan lathes!

richz

Active User
Registered
Got the door for the motor cabinet and threading dial done this weekend.

photo 4.JPG photo 6.JPG

photo 4.JPG photo 6.JPG

Building Something

Active User
Registered
A working condition Logan 210 with a box of "attachments" just sold about 5 minutes after it was posted on Craigslist for $300.

mranum

Registered
Registered
Nice to see the old iron that not only still works, but works very well. My nephew who is working through an apprenticeship program was over this last fall and needed to do some work on mine since the company he works for is cracking down on gov't work, but anyway he couldn't get over how true the 'ol girl runs.

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My 820

Posted these before but seem to have been lost. This is a 1945 vintage 820. The three phase motor is original, I added the Teco 7300 VFD and controls. This was completely disassembled, cleaned up, painted, some new bearings etc. I have since added a QCTP and a 5c collet chuck. The small shaft on the tray was my first project, a replacement for one of the shafts in the apron. At that point it wasn't complete, I was waiting for a woodruff key cutter and needs to be cut to length. I also have a Palmgreen milling attachment which I later used to cut the two keys. The 3 jaw chuck shown is an import, the original that came with the lathe was completely trashed.

logan820_a1.JPG logan820_a2.JPG logan820_a3.JPG logan820_a5.JPG logan820_a6.JPG logan820_a8.JPG logan820_a9.JPG logan820_a10.JPG logan820_a11.JPG logan820_a4.JPG logan820_a7.JPG

strantor

Active User
Registered
Here's mine. I wish I could take credit for the restoration, but that was done by the previous owner. I bought it this way, with no tooling. Found out the hard way that tooling costs as much or more than a lathe.

IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0060.JPG IMG_0065.JPG

autonoz

Active User
Registered
Here's mine. I wish I could take credit for the restoration, but that was done by the previous owner. I bought it this way, with no tooling. Found out the hard way that tooling costs as much or more than a lathe.
Very nice lathe

gbritnell

Active User
Registered
Gentlemen,
I'm new to the forum and after my introduction I figured the best thing to do would be to post some of my machinery. First up is my Logan. I had a 9" Southbend for many years and a good friend asked me if I would be interested in a turret lathe. I said no not really but I would take a look at it. Well it turned out to be the Logan you see here. A fellow had bought it and only ever used it for winding coils. There was still cosmoline (protectant) all over the machine from when it was new and it hadn't been used in quite a few years. My sons and I took it apart to get it from one basement to another. It came with 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks, steady rest, drive plate, toolpost grinder and assorted tooling and chucks. I had to replace the spindle bearings as the grease apparently dried up in them. The motor also didn't last too long but the new one is probably much more efficient anyway. An adapter plate had to be made to mount the new motor to the existing brackets.
gbritnell
Loganlathe.jpg
Loganlathe2.jpg

Bartonius

Active User
Registered
Here is my 6561H, I did a complete Restoration on it, sorry I didn't take any before pictures. I got it from a High School Shop Class, actually A guy put in 2 bids on 3 lathes he didnt expect to win either, he ended up winning both. So I paid him a few bucks more than he paid and picked it up straight from the School. All the Gears were in Great condition, no real Wear on anything, you can tell some Freshman Crashed the Chuck into the Compound a time or 2. I Love it, it is a great Lathe.
IMG_20130323_163121_436%u00255B1%5D.jpg IMG_20130323_163106_081%u00255B1%5D.jpg

The Faceplate on there is one I just made up.

IMG_20130323_163121_436%u00255B1%5D.jpg IMG_20130323_163106_081%u00255B1%5D.jpg

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Here is my 6561H, I did a complete Restoration on it, sorry I didn't take any before pictures.
Very nice Michael, She turned out very nice indeed. Did you do the re-paint on the nameplate? Mine is going to need some touch as well.

Bartonius

Active User
Registered
Very nice Michael, She turned out very nice indeed. Did you do the re-paint on the nameplate? Mine is going to need some touch as well.

Yeah I did, I used some Testors Blue I had Sitting Around, and some of my Wife's Red Nail Polish!

richz

Active User
Registered
Looks very good Bartonius. I have the 6560H, posted some pics. Do you have a tapper attachment. Mine did not come with one. i am looking for someone who might have one that I could copy.

Bartonius

Active User
Registered
Looks very good Bartonius. I have the 6560H, posted some pics. Do you have a tapper attachment. Mine did not come with one. i am looking for someone who might have one that I could copy.

No I don't, I don't even have the Compound Rest Base Attachment to Accommodate a Taper Attachment. Do you have a Manual?

PIKEMAN

Active User
Registered
richz, that little device is a dauber,used to spread lubricant on a dead center. The hole in the tail stock would be filled with a concoction consisting of white lead,bee's wax, eye of newt,etc. The fact that it is still with the lathe is a sign someone took good care of the lathe, as most folks lose those. Replacements are rare, and expensive. If you send it to me, I will make sure it does not get lost.:lmao:

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
this is my 10" logan 200----I really like to use it but haven't had the time or desire to paint it all up---there is one feature I added that is really handy for moving carriage--I don't use lathe for threading so I have rigged a quick reversible variable speed unit off rear end of leadscrew--it sure works nice and can remove it if I want to cut threads--I have a 9" south bend if need threads cut. Dave mar 28. 2013 009.jpg mar 28. 2013 010.jpg mar 28. 2013 015.jpg mar 28. 2013 013.jpg mar 28. 2013 016.jpg

mar 28. 2013 009.jpg mar 28. 2013 010.jpg mar 28. 2013 015.jpg mar 28. 2013 013.jpg mar 28. 2013 016.jpg

stevecmo

Active User
Registered
autonoze - Did you ever find the standard tail stock you were looking for? I think I saw one on ebay in the last few days.

autonoz

Active User
Registered
No I am still looking. I have checked Ebay every day and there has not been one. If you know where one is, please do tell.
autonoze - Did you ever find the standard tail stock you were looking for? I think I saw one on ebay in the last few days.

stevecmo

Active User
Registered

stevecmo

Active User
Registered
Nice looking lathe. It looks well cared for. I'm sure you'll love it.

Steve

aldo

Registered
Registered
Seeking for an original motor.

Can somebody put a picture of an original motor, My 820 comes with a different motor so I wish to know the spec and shape of an original one to start seeking for it. Thanks a lot.

Rennkafer

Active User
Registered
Just realized I've never posted here... just in my rebuild thread.

1961 Logan 2555VL

Before: Found on Craigslist, it was sitting in a guys wood shop (unused for 8 years). It's not rusty in this pic, it's covered in wood/oil mung.

PC080055.jpg

After: About 4 months worth of after-work and weekend disassembly, cleaning, repair, and paint. Still working on getting it wired up and adding a DRO.

DSC04307_zps9c70f80f.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock