Show us your Logan lathes!

Low tech

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
New member here . I've had this Logan model 1955 since 1982 . Get this, my Mother in Law bought it for me . It came with a three jaw , a four jaw , a follow rest , a back plate , and lots of extra gears that I'm not sure of their use . I was able to find a genuine nos Logan taper attachment still in the original unopened factory box . The instructions are type written and dated 1955 .
This lathe seems to be quite accurate . I did an alignment test with a 2" aluminum round stock . Only .0006 off in 5 1/2 inches .
Steve

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

RandyM

My 1959 9B-28-1 its proved to be a very good little machine.
I've owned it for over 20 years and as a journeyman machinist who specialized in operating large lathes and boring mills it has surprised me at what you can accomplish with it!
It's usually the musician that is commanding the instrument.

john.oliver35

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, but have looked at this thread several times over the past year. Owned 3 9" south bends, and one Logan 210, Now I have a Logan 922 11x36". It's a nice lathe for it's size, but I'm hoping to get another larger Clausing 5900 series lathe.

I got the 922 about 5 months ago. Was in decent shape, but it does have a few issues I need to work on yet. Just put a new Phase II QCTP on it last week. Which was a huge improvement from the old lantern. I mainly bought mine for doing gun barrels on, but I'm have done more odd ball projects on it than gunsmith work. I want to make sure everything is set up how I want it before I start spinning barrels. Planning to have it powder coated some day and have the ways reground. I can't resize my photo, but here's a video I made on it.

[video=youtube_share;csgMAo4WW6o]
[/video]
Hi - how do you compare the Logan 922 to the 9" South Bend? I have an opportunity to purchase an 926 and wanted your opinion!
John

CPL_Guimonster

Registered
Registered
What drove me to decide to choose Logan vs. South Bend is the parts are still available through the Logan company. Yes, SB are more common but that also drives the price up as well.

Usmcdevildog

Registered
Registered
My avatar shows what I started with, and this is an in process shot. Working on a taper attachment right now while I am waiting for my chip pan to be blasted clean... This is an 820 with the turret tail stock..
View attachment 117098

View attachment 117099

And here it is completed, a few bushings to make and finish the hand wheels, and ready for another 60 + years of service.

View attachment 118737
Wow this one you did a hell of a job on, I think I am going to strip my 6565 and repaint the ol girl

Tuna Helper

Registered
Registered
373403d1212507300-logan-lathes-scout-020-medium-.jpg
This is the only picture of my 820 I have right now. The history I know of it is that it was originally owned by Essex Wire in Fort Wayne. My brother's friend's granddad acquired it, and parked it in a shed for untold years. It was given to my brother, who later said I could have it. It was dusty, dirty, and full of crap. So far I've cleaned, oiled, bought a new chuck, new single phase 120v motor (I no longer have the three phase motor and now need the step pulley) and a drill chuck for the tailstock. I've been at the computer for several days drawing a taper attachment that I probably won't make anytime soon. Looking at these restored lathes makes me want to strip it down and repaint it.

gjmontll

Active User
Looks like you have a great project there, hope you enjoy it. As I detailed in the thread on my 820, it took me about two years for the dis-assembly, repairs, paint stripping and repainting, and alignment. Tearing down and rebuilding every single sub-assembly sure gave me an education. I particularly enjoyed the capability for it to make parts to fix itself, e.g. found worn shafts in the QCGB, took measurements and made drawings, reassembled everything, turned new shafts, (mini-mill for the keyways), again disassemble, install new shafts, and one final reassembly.

viper0222

Registered
Registered
Hi all! So the lathe bug finally bit, and I started my search a couple of months ago. Originally looked at Atlas/Craftsman models, but then started to really like the Logans. Had narrowed it down to wanting an 11" model, when a newer 10" popped up for sale close by. Long story short, I am the proud owner of my first lathe, a Logan 1821, built in 1957. Crusty and rusty, I am now in mid-refurbish, and having a ball. YouTube and these forums have changed the way one pursues a passion, and I have learned so much in so little time, it is just amazing. So, here are some pics for your perusal. Some are before, and some are after. Working on QCGB currently, still have the headstock, and motor assembly to go through. using WD40, EvapoRust, and ScotchBrite fine and ultra fine pads for the cleanup so far.

IMG_20160414_174803816_HDR.jpg IMG_20160425_093832378.jpg IMG_20160420_222555803.jpg IMG_20160420_222257530.jpg IMG_20160424_230239954.jpg

Silverbullet

Registered
Registered
I have an 11"LOGAN lathe also. Had my girl for over 40 years. I'm sad to say I've been neglecting her. She needs cleaning oiling and showed some love but she always has done lots of good work. Pictures well if I ever get back to cleaning the garage , on hold because of weather. You see my being in the wheelchair causes me to not be able to keep warm. Last week I spent about 5 hrs, outside rebuilding my ramp on the back of my house. Took two days to get warmed up and it was only around 40 degrees. I truly wouldn't wish anyone had to suffer like I do. Even the doctor who caused my added paralysis I wouldn't wish this on. It's unbearable to stay this way if I wasn't so DERN strong I'd put an end to it. But I'm not a quitter I'm not done fighting have an atlas horizontal I'm trying to get . Hopefully with some help from my buddy Larry , ill work a repair deal for driving to pick it up. I've only one picture of the atlas mill but it looks complete but no legs or wood top showed. People who run adds on craigslist don't answer my emails I've missed many great deals. There's a 12" whipp shaper for $250.00 near me , no answers to my inquiries. I've got many adds on there and no responses guess people don't want woodworking tools or good wood.

LarryTheKing

Registered
Registered
Rebuilt this 11" Logan a couple of years ago. Model 1957
Complete tear down, replaced or repaired a couple pieces, added a VFD, and a clean coat of paint.
The lathe has been a pure joy to use.

Edit: Added a picture with the turret installed

DSC05699.jpg DSC05695.jpg IMG_20161226_175942.jpg

Last edited:

T. J.

Welcome wurkenman, and nice lathe! If you haven't already found it, you'll want to take a look at the Logan site: www.lathe.com. You can look up your date of manufacture by serial number. They also sell replacement parts.

ACHiPo

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

mwestcott

Registered
Registered
Your 816 looks like a twin to mine, but it was converted to the stand model. I've considered making a bench to bring it back to "original", and gain a bunch of storage space.

ACHiPo

Your 816 looks like a twin to mine, but it was converted to the stand model. I've considered making a bench to bring it back to "original", and gain a bunch of storage space.
I debated pulling it off the bench to move it and mount to a stand I'd make. I'm very glad I didn't do that--it's very nice to have those storage drawers.

mwestcott

Registered
Registered
Yes, I've been surprised how much new stuff I "need" to accumulate for this thing!

M

Mister Ed

Forum Guest
Register Today
Yes, I've been surprised how much new stuff I "need" to accumulate for this thing!
Stuff is good!! You know things are finally going your way, when you have so much stuff that you can bring in big stuff and the wife no longer realizes something "new" has been added.:tranquility: Brought in a little #1 Hossfeld bender a couple years back, placed it right in front of where she parks her car ... she never even noticed. 6 months go buy and she asks ... "where did this come from"? I could honestly reply "Oh, I've had that for quite a while".:D

Nogoingback

Hi all! So the lathe bug finally bit, and I started my search a couple of months ago. Originally looked at Atlas/Craftsman models, but then started to really like the Logans. Had narrowed it down to wanting an 11" model, when a newer 10" popped up for sale close by. Long story short, I am the proud owner of my first lathe, a Logan 1821, built in 1957. Crusty and rusty, I am now in mid-refurbish, and having a ball. YouTube and these forums have changed the way one pursues a passion, and I have learned so much in so little time, it is just amazing. So, here are some pics for your perusal. Some are before, and some are after. Working on QCGB currently, still have the headstock, and motor assembly to go through. using WD40, EvapoRust, and ScotchBrite fine and ultra fine pads for the cleanup so far.

View attachment 127870 View attachment 127874 View attachment 127875 View attachment 127876 View attachment 127873

Just noticed the large cross feed dial on your lathe. Is that a shop made part, or is aftermarket? (Or do you know?). I'd like to fit something like that to mine some day.

M

Mister Ed

Forum Guest
Register Today
Just noticed the large cross feed dial on your lathe. Is that a shop made part, or is aftermarket? (Or do you know?). I'd like to fit something like that to mine some day.
That is a Stelling Crossfeed dial. A sweet aftermarket part, once made by a guy around Pasadena (If I remember correctly). Logan listed them in their catalogues for a while. I think all were 0-200 graduations.

Nogoingback

I wonder how often they turn up on eBay: looks like a nice upgrade.
There's one for a Sheldon on eBay now.

Last edited:
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock