Show us your South Bend Lathe

Re: 10K 4-1/2' bed

Not prying at all. I paid $1700.00. I found it on Craig's List about 90 or so miles away from my home. It sat there for 28 days.

Yeah, I almost feel unworthy! Thanks!
It is the same vintage as my first SB 10k, which was a 1950. The serial number baffles me a little, it should be in the 2000's for that vintage with no zero or O at the end. KBR is standard code for Model 10K, Model B with standard change gears and standard spindle. This machine is somewhat rare for 2 reasons. The long bed and for not having the Quick Change Gear Box. Not many 10Ks were sold that way. Mint Model A's with the QC Gear Box and the long bed occasionally come up...for between 3-5k, if they still have the majority of their bed frosting (scraping) like yours. So a Model B would be slightly less than an A. But safe to say that with the full package of extras you got, you stole her.

Last edited:

It is the same vintage as my first SB 10k, which was a 1950. The serial number baffles me a little, it should be in the 2000's for that vintage with no zero or O at the end. KBR is standard code for Model 10K, Model B with standard change gears and standard spindle. This machine is somewhat rare for 2 reasons. The long bed and for not having the Quick Change Gear Box. Not many 10Ks were sold that way. Mint Model A's with the QC Gear Box and the long bed occasionally come up...for between 3-5k, if they still have the majority of their bed frosting (scraping) like yours. So a Model B would be slightly less than an A. But safe to say that with the full package of extras you got, you stole her.

Thanks for the "apraisal". Being as I'm new to the lathe world, I realy had no idea where to value this machine at. All I knew it was that is was cheaper than a new Grizzly-Bend.

I will double check the serial number today or tomorrow and report back.

My 9A as found in December 2007

Kitchener South Bend.JPG

today it is in my basement workshop. Took the big fibreglass belt guard off in favour of the older gear guards. Added a few other things too, but have not been tempted to repaint it. Originally sold by South Bend in the fall of 1958 to the Canadian Fairbanks-Morse company.

IMG_0001.jpg

Kitchener South Bend.JPG IMG_0001.jpg

Thanks for the "apraisal". Being as I'm new to the lathe world, I realy had no idea where to value this machine at. All I knew it was that is was cheaper than a new Grizzly-Bend.

I will double check the serial number today or tomorrow and report back.

I finnaly got around to double checking the serial number. I have attached a picture showing the serial number on the bed 21940KBR7 and another showing the catalog number from the name plate on the head, 667.
Serial Number.jpgCatalog Number.jpg
From what I have read, the "0" between the "4" and the "K" is an anomaly....I am also unclear about the "7" at the end.....

If anyone has thoughts on this, please chime in.

Thanks!

Capt.Mark

Serial Number.jpg Catalog Number.jpg

Mark I have come upon this mystery. I conclude with research that well may be an inspector stamp, I have one like that. May not make sense,
but, initals or some kind of letter or number is the inspector code. How I know? this was the normal when I worked for Raytheon 60s.

a stamp= example 4*o7 was the guys "coat of arms so to speak" or thats what I'm led to believe.

then I think it makes sense, if something went wrong I wouldnt want my name, stamp of approval on it..........sam

Last edited:

I finnaly got around to double checking the serial number. I have attached a picture showing the serial number on the bed 21940KBR7 and another showing the catalog number from the name plate on the head, 667.
View attachment 67602View attachment 67603
From what I have read, the "0" between the "4" and the "K" is an anomaly....I am also unclear about the "7" at the end.....

If anyone has thoughts on this, please chime in.

Thanks!

Capt.Mark

The "7" is a common thing at the end. Many 10Ks have a 7 or an 8. Not sure what it means. It might be a motor/control option code. But that dang "0" in the serial is downright baffling. You said it though....SB did have anomalies in their serial number system with the amount of customization options that they offered. Someone like latheman2 [Ted worked at SB ] would probably know. I'll ask him.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
GK and Cuse - thanks for your help. For what it's worth, I just ordered the Serial Card from Grizzly....I will post back here once I receive it and let you know what they have to say.

Great idea Mark. I think your machine is noteworthy enough to want the serial card for it in any case.

Well, after almost two decades of wanting to do it, I finally converted my D-Day South Bend to a D1-3 spindle this weekend. Of course now that I have a Hardinge, I'm selling the South Bend to a buddy of mine... at least he will get to enjoy it!

I hopped this old lathe up just about as far as is possible: VFD drive, two axis DRO and a DRO on the compound. I put pressure fed lubrication on the carriage and cross slide (one pulse of air= one shot of oil on every hole).

A REALLY nice upgrade if your lathe likes oil in the spindle pulley (which mine did): add a ball oiler so you can inject without having to take out that darn threaded plug!View attachment 65283View attachment 65284View attachment 65285View attachment 65287View attachment 65288View attachment 65289View attachment 65286

You said you converted the spindle to a D-3. Because heavy threads are visible inside the D-3 nose does that mean that that is a D-3 adapter spun onto the original spindle?, or is that thread some kind of accommodation for a collet system?

Last edited:
Great idea Mark. I think your machine is noteworthy enough to want the serial card for it in any case.

OK - here's the serial card, front and back. Looks like it was sold to a dealer in 1950 (Carey Machinery and Supply in Baltimore).

Serial Card Back.jpg Serial Card Front.jpg

Back