Show us your South Bend Lathe

Sorry for the long delay in pictures of the heavy 10 I picked up in late Nov. It is in really good shape I think. I am still trying to get it set up and organized, as you might see I am really cramped for space. I think because of all the "chewed Marks" on the carriage and compound this must have been a "school lathe". The ways don't have any ridges on them. Looks like "new gears"

DSCF0660.JPG DSCF0649.JPG DSCF0656.JPG DSCF0661.JPG DSCF0646.JPG DSCF0659.JPG

My 1964 SB 10" toolroom lathe that I got in 1975 out of a Crown Asset sale. The only thing I would like different on it is a D-1 spindle.

Shop 139.jpg

Shop 139.jpg

You said you converted the spindle to a D-3. Because heavy threads are visible inside the D-3 nose does that mean that that is a D-3 adapter spun onto the original spindle?, or is that thread some kind of accommodation for a collet system?

Weldingrod1

Just in case you missed it, I am sending you this question again with regards to your "spindle conversion". Was that a complete spindle change out to a D-3 spindle, or some kind of a spin on conversion adapter? If it was a complete spindle change what are the threads visible inside the D-3 nose for?

Thanks

My 1964 SB 10" toolroom lathe that I got in 1975 out of a Crown Asset sale. The only thing I would like different on it is a D-1 spindle.

View attachment 67870

Canuck
beautiful lathe!!

How do you like that switch position? Seems like a good location but I'd like your thoughts. My 1965 heavy has a drum switch that goes in the same spot ( I have same lathe /cabinet) but it's not installed yet. Just running it with VFD on wall right now. I like the drum switch with forward/reverse but curious about this location.
Thanks again and great restoration.

Canuck
beautiful lathe!!

How do you like that switch position? Seems like a good location but I'd like your thoughts. My 1965 heavy has a drum switch that goes in the same spot ( I have same lathe /cabinet) but it's not installed yet. Just running it with VFD on wall right now. I like the drum switch with forward/reverse but curious about this location.
Thanks again and great restoration.

RW1

Thank you for your comment but my restoration efforts seem to pale a bit compared to some of the results I have viewed on this Forum. Anyways, with respect to the switch, it was part of the original 550V 3ph add on package so I kept it despite the fact that I have a drum switch I could have used. The position is fine for me for a couple of reasons. My "shop" is an unheated shed in my back yard so do most of my tinkering in the summer and the rest of the time I keep my lathe covered. The collet rack, and the usual position of a drum switch overtop the head, or anything else that sticks out, would all interfere with throwing the cover on, so I keep it streamlined. Also, I am a real "nervous nellie" when it comes to reversing a lathe with a threaded spindle (just in case the chuck comes loose) so am not in the habit of using reverse. And, since I can find the "FWD" and "STOP" buttons quite easily without looking, the location works fine for me.

My 1979 Heavy 10 has a few new paint scratches since it's rebuild 8 weeks ago! I just added a bed turret since I do alot of repetitive op work. uploadfromtaptalk1390057341087.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1390057341087.jpg

I'll take some pics of my 9a this afternoon and get them posted. I'm planning on restoring it this summer.

My recently aquired 13 inch toolroom...around 1942 from the serial number...will get the SP index card soon...very good shape...only "noise" comes from one of the gears on the back...would like to change the feed clutch from dial to lever...also going to buy a 6 or 8 inch chuck and machine a threaded adapter...

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

picked this guy up a few weeks ago, starting the rebuild process now. trying to decide if I'm going to repaint or not, most the paint is missing already. 9adamume.jpg 4yjagu6y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also, I'm having trouble getting the pin out of the worm gear on the apron, I'm following the rebuild kit manual, but the pin is stuck halfway out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back