Show Us your Welders!

Yeah, AHP is a hungry new company. They do R&D, they listen and they get better. There are plenty of big/comfortable/complacent companies out there There is no reason to believe they are the supreme leaders. Good luck in your decision making..I'd say I feel bad for you, but buying new equipment? You'll be fine!

Looks like Primeweld will ship to Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Primeweld will ship to Canada.

I hear really good things about those from people I talk to. One guy sold his AHP (no problems with it) but he switched to Primeweld. I'm guessing thats a good unit, bang for buck err...maple leafs...whatever you guys call your money. :cool:

I have never needed a true support claim.
However, after I got the TIG machine I was afraid of burning up the original paper copy of the full manual in the shop

It's one thing to ask for advice or have a question answered or email'd, and another thing to request technical support when a machine is malfunctioning. Lots of people have great experiences and the machines work great, until they don't.

This is a recent thread of someone asking about everlast. Look at the latest post from VA Sawyer. It may be "2nd hand reporting" from me, but it's 1st-hand from him. No slander here, as that would imply non-factual information.

Just trying to keep my welding brothers aware of other's 1st-hand experiences when actually having some problem with the machines.

Thanks @General Zod
I'm comitting to a Primeweld 225 when they are next available. Part of what made the choice for me is the analog controls and the 3-year warranty and shipping.

Just ordered my Primeweld 225!
Thanks for the heads up @pgk
Looking forward to learning a new skill!

Remember:
  • Don't tilt the torch more than about 5° from the vertical. (even 10° is too much if you actually measure it).
  • Don't extend the tungsten too far out of the cup. Keep it to about 2x - 2.5x the tungsten diameter to ensure initial success (later on you can see how much you can get away with).
  • Keep the arc length short (2-4mm), and keep it consistently at that length.
  • Argon flow rate (CFH): roughly 2x the "size" of the cup (in 1/16ths).
  • Stop immediately if you dip the tungsten and/or see the "orange dust of death" and/or see "bubbling" porosity. If you see any of those, you must address these issues immediately to have any chance of success.

Good luck!

Remember:
  • Don't tilt the torch more than about 5° from the vertical. (even 10° is too much if you actually measure it).
  • Don't extend the tungsten too far out of the cup. Keep it to about 2x - 2.5x the tungsten diameter to ensure initial success (later on you can see how much you can get away with).
  • Keep the arc length short (2-4mm), and keep it consistently at that length.
  • Argon flow rate (CFH): roughly 2x the "size" of the cup (in 1/16ths).
  • Stop immediately if you dip the tungsten and/or see the "orange dust of death" and/or see "bubbling" porosity. If you see any of those, you must address these issues immediately to have any chance of success.

Good luck!

Thanks Oscar!
Hopefully my steady hands will help translate into decent welds.

Glad to see you starting with TIG. MIG IS easier, but TIG is more versatile and by far, more an art. Once you get TIG down, MIG is much easier, the other way around isn't true. Getting gas lenses will make things easier in the beginning (Furick or Edge), though there are good arguments why you should just suffer and learn with the standard ceramic cup. If you can purchase your own Argon bottle versus renting, it will save you TONS of money. I'm not sure how things work there in Canada, I assume similar. Start collecting a bunch of metal coupons and just get ready to rock. Zod pointed out a video (Justin at the Fabricator Series on youtube.) I have had (3) 8 hour classes, one on one with him. I would advise to watch some of his videos on the subject.
He also has weldmetalsonline.com and sells all kinds of practice metals from basic up to very difficult, good stuff to order and convenient as well. Good luck, have fun!

Thanks @GunsOfNavarone. I’m looking forward to learning.
I’m under no illusions that this will be an easy road but it’s something that I’ve wanted to learn for a long time.

I can buy a 110 cubic ft bottle which is probably as big as I can manage on my own. A 250 is available but I don’t think I can manage a tank that large.

Back