Simple welding or soldering needed

That fuel rail, I presume that half made one is one you cut from the other original fuel rail? Not the approach I'd take. You might be better off machining a new rail from a piece of bar, tap one end for the fitting, and make new side fittings to thread into the bar, or perhaps a slip fit for a better solder or braze joint. Not someplace where you want to chance it cracking from vibration or residual stress.

How do other Sonex builders handle it?

I always thought the Sonex was kinda cool if rather weird looking, though my taste runs more to biplanes... I'm flying a Hatz now.

My dad was a homebuilder, fabricated everything on his Mustang II in our one car garage. I can see where having this done by someone, regardless of their skill, who isn't certified could be an issue. It's one thing when you fab something yourself and it's your life at stake, quite another if you've done it for somebody else and there's a problem....

What does the EAA have to say about this kind of thing?

BTW, their training materials are top notch.

John

If it has anything to do with an aircraft, get it fabricated by some who is certified to work on aircraft. You don't want a failure at 2000 ft.
It's a homebuilt, everything on it is homemade. The standard aircraft certification rules don't apply. There are thousands of airplanes safely flying with parts made by skilled amateurs.

They make some good points. I mean I'd welded plenty of cars, trucks and motorcycles...frames, steering components and such, but altitude never comes into play! Honestly its a very low risk part (as far as any it breaking cracking) but yeah, I'd never build something and take it in the air....I barely trust the commercial airlines!

I understand everyone's point. I really do. This part will not be induced with high frequency vibrations and will be pressure tested twice it's needed
capacity. Aviation of any type is a risk. It is a safety managed endeavor by many amateur enthusiast using their backyard skills.

This part will also be stress reduced with a heat treatment ...... no worries people. I have it covered.

That fuel rail, I presume that half made one is one you cut from the other original fuel rail? Not the approach I'd take. You might be better off machining a new rail from a piece of bar, tap one end for the fitting, and make new side fittings to thread into the bar, or perhaps a slip fit for a better solder or braze joint. Not someplace where you want to chance it cracking from vibration or residual stress.

How do other Sonex builders handle it?

I always thought the Sonex was kinda cool if rather weird looking, though my taste runs more to biplanes... I'm flying a Hatz now.

Other sonex builders do not use fuel injection. I already tried the approach you speak of but I do not have enough room under the cowl of the airplane. I could make the one in the picture shorter in length but the issue is that it is too TALL.

I really like your idea of a SLIP FIT but I do not have my machine shop anymore. I have to rely on commercial parts modified for my purpose.
I this case the modified part is from a motorcycle fuel injection rail.

I'd love to have one machined up that can do the job but that is a lot of work that I'm not sure I could get anyone to try for me.

Attachments

• 91842.jpg
    91842.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I see a (magnet?) just prior to 0*...how many degree separation there? How far in from edge are 1/8” holes? Seems pretty straight forward, but as I’ve used my indexer 5 times since purchase...well, your risking a lot at altitude! I had to get help here just with indicating it in. Where I’m very green, I’m not going to sugar coat, but yeah, pretty straight forward directions.

Back