Single Point Threading Issue - might be gearing?

Will, Amazon still sells the Grizzly wheels. . The 6" is only $14.95.

8" wheel"

Roy

Thanks Roy. Says sold & ships from Grizzy. Looks like Grizzly does still sell them & found em on their website. I could of sworn the last time I looked I couldn't find them. But then again that was when they had just changed their website format.

Some pictures.
0.480-32 threads in 12L14 - non fractured tool bit.
IMG_20200317_175300.resized.jpg
Fractured tip of 5/16 SPT tool bit.
IMG_20200317_175335.resized.jpg
Ugly, embarrassing 8-32 threads in O1
IMG_20200317_175446.jpg

Side view of fractured tip of tool bit. As you can see, the tip didn't break, but just below fractured.
IMG_20200317_180606.jpg

What is the overall length of the part that is inserted in the spindle bore? 5 inches? I have some stock now and am trying to figure out how it should fit. It looks like there is a shoulder that is machined to the spindle bore for registration, and the internal part is smaller in diameter. I don't have a sense of how critical the dimensions are. Any rules of thumb?

My mini lathe has an extension screwed onto the spindle that prevents chips from falling into the change gears. That is why the diameter is 1.001 just before the wheel stop. The through bolt is 3/8" x 16TPI x 4.75". Thread is about 2" just need enough threads to wedge it tight inside spindle. The bore in the non threaded portion needs to allow the through bolt room to move as the wedge comes up.
Here is a poor sketch of the dimensions:
1584483134233.png

Last edited:
Thanks Roy. Says sold & ships from Grizzly. Looks like Grizzly does still sell them & found em on their website. I could of sworn the last time I looked I couldn't find them. But then again that was when they had just changed their website format.

That has happened to me before. Since I had the part numbers it came up right away on Amazon.

Roy

My mini lathe has an extension screwed onto the spindle that prevents chips from falling into the change gears. That is why the diameter is 1.001 just before the wheel stop.
Here is a poor sketch of the dimensions:
View attachment 317084
Thanks! I was trying to figure out how much was inside the spindle, mostly so I could determine overall length how to drill it.

Thanks! I was trying to figure out how much was inside the spindle, mostly so I could determine overall length how to drill it.
If you need more information just let me know. I drilled it to tap the 3/8" x 16TPI and then cut it at an angle then drilled out the remaining portion to 1/2" If you don't have a broach and mill you can pin the hand wheel to the quill since there is no need to remove the handwheel from the quill in normal operation.

Roy

Just out of curiosity why don't you'all learn to cut threads like about every other machinist. The only time we would thread to a groove is for bearing lock nuts. If I could learn it just about everybody can too. When you master it the fear goes away and you just thread stuff.

You grind it at the very tip of the tool. The angle follows the slope of the tool at the front so that the flat is even, top to bottom.

Just out of curiosity why don't you'all learn to cut threads like about every other machinist. The only time we would thread to a groove is for bearing lock nuts. If I could learn it just about everybody can too. When you master it the fear goes away and you just thread stuff.
1. Rank Beginner. Older than I'd like to admit. Reflexes not like they were 40 years ago.
2. 5 threads to a stop. 0.18" long
3. Have no issue with threading 1". Lots of time between starting and stopping
4. Beginner

You grind it at the very tip of the tool. The angle follows the slope of the tool at the front so that the flat is even, top to bottom.
Thanks. That chip off the tool is about 1/64" wide. So I'll try to flatten the whole edge. So this looks like a honing sort of thing, rather than setting up the belt sander again.

Back