Single to three phase.

I think "torque pulse" is a misnomer. I think it is a sinusoidal variation in torque that is in synchronization with the rotation of the shaft. It is related to the type of motor, not to the motor's brand or age. I can feel it on all of my single-phase ac motors. Put your finger on the motor housing (remove the belt first) then power the motor. You will feel the vibration. Turn off the power and the vibration immediately vanishes (while the motor is coasting).

I have a light Atlas lathe and the motor is hung off the bed (poor design) and I can feel the motor vibration on the bed. I imagine that a heavier lathe or one that has the motor mounted on the lathe stand would be much better.

Well I went with the Grizzly 1-4 h.p. static model. I mounted a 3 phase 240vac female outlet to it.
I was concerned with the outlet wiring but didn't feel like taking the grinder cord apart to trace wires. I figured I'd try it as is. It started and ran great pulling min amps. Just for an expirement I swaped my outlet wiring. It again ran great. So my conclusion is it doesn't mater how you wire the 3 phase plug.
Oh and I know about the reverse rotation by swapping l1 and l3.
I tried every combination. Very smooth!
I touched up a couple carbide tools and it has more than enough power for me. I hope Baldor reputation holds up!

Back