Skinny tire bike build, 10 speed

Very cool rebuild of a classic bike.
I bought a Schwin Continental (made in the USA) in 1960. Man, it set me back $110.00 everybody I knew thought I was crazy to spend that much on a bike. When I wasn’t riding it I kept it in my bedroom, precious commodity Two years later everybody I knew owned a ten speed.
As time went on I upgraded it with a Shimano derailer and improved brakes. A few years back I got tired of it hanging in my storage shed and sold it to a neighbor kid. Man, I loved that bike! Great memories thanks for the trip back in time. Keep on riding as long as the body can take it.

Very cool rebuild of a classic bike.
I bought a Schwin Continental (made in the USA) in 1960. Man, it set me back $110.00 everybody I knew thought I was crazy to spend that much on a bike. When I wasn’t riding it I kept it in my bedroom, precious commodity Two years later everybody I knew owned a ten speed.
As time went on I upgraded it with a Shimano derailer and improved brakes. A few years back I got tired of it hanging in my storage shed and sold it to a neighbor kid. Man, I loved that bike! Great memories thanks for the trip back in time. Keep on riding as long as the body can take it.
That's a cool story. I remember my first 10 speed, a campus green Schwinn varsity. I had a double paper route in San Diego California, I delivered papers with a custom built heavy duti Schwinn. So when it came time for me to buy a new bike it had to be a bike with gears to handle the hills. I paid $112 for it in around 1972. I put some serious miles on that bike, even though it was a heavy tank of a bike by todays standards. And now at 58 years old I'm rebuilding the bikes I rode as a kid, and some that are older. And I still ride them!

Nice show! I have a 1976 Schwinn Traveler sitting in the garage. Not sure it worth a rebuild though. Are these old bike making a comeback?
Robert

Nice show! I have a 1976 Schwinn Traveler sitting in the garage. Not sure it worth a rebuild though. Are these old bike making a comeback?
Robert
Up until about the early 80s yes they are desirable and worth rebuilding, especially to the collectors. Once schwinn was sold the quality immediately fell off. Your bike would be worth repairing or restoring. Look at this build I am doing, it will be better than new for about $200 total investment, and it will be a one of a kind, my personal bike. $200 bucks for a bike today is nothing really. I mostly restore middle weights and fat tire old Schwinns, you'll see me doing more of those here. I'll be doing a custom cruiser for my girl next. I'm in the home stretch on this one.

Nice job on the restoration.

I've been looking at the Wheelmaster 27 inch replacement set for a slightly newer Schwinn Traveler that was supposed to be a parts bike, but was too nice to break up. Please let us know how the new wheels work out.

Nice job on the restoration.

I've been looking at the Wheelmaster 27 inch replacement set for a slightly newer Schwinn Traveler that was supposed to be a parts bike, but was too nice to break up. Please let us know how the new wheels work out.

They spin forever on the bike stand, lol. Sealed bearings and very smooth. I just picked them up from one of my local bike shops. They seem to be a a decent wheel for an inexpensive set. If I remember right I think I spent about $50 for the set.

Back