Small Atlas Lathe

OT, but for the best wrinkle, use VHT automotive finish. Only comes in black, but after you get the the wrinkle, lightly over-coat with desired color. Done with object to be painted warmed to ~150f. Apply fairly heavy coat.

OK, back at it. Spindle was cleaned and although usable like it is I am not satisfied with it. It will go to Master Machine and undergroune -.005 and spray welded to +.004 and reground. Will be better than new when it returns.

"Billy G" :))

sp 002 (700 x 525).jpg

I will set up in the lathe tomorrow to grind the spindle .005 under. Then it's off to Spray Weld. Then back here to regrind to stock dimensions.

"Billy G" :thinking:

111 (700 x 525).jpg

There are now a variety of methods of material deposition similar to that. You can apply ceramics, carbide matrices, as well as virtually any metal alloy you can think of. I worked in a shop where we did that type of buildup in the 70's. It was plain old metalizing back then. Metco gun, 100 PSI air, lots of oxy/acetylene and a roll of wire. It's kind of fun to shoot the guy across the shop with a blast of it. It's sort of like a cutting torch with a wire feed. After prepping the surface by roughing it up, we shot a little pure nickel as a binder, then the steel on top of that. It turns back a lot like cast material.

I've done many motor shafts, harmonic balancer seal surfaces, electric motor end bells, and even hydraulic rams. It's a versatile process. Things have changed from those days to use plasma spray and all sorts of wear materials. Very cool technology.

While waiting for the Spindle to come back I cleaned and painted the Headstock housing.

"Billy G"

222 (700 x 525).jpg

Excellent Work Bill!!! It's sort of strange the amount of satisfaction a person can get just seeing pictures of machinery being brought back to life, so Thank you for the pictures!

The Tailstock is in bad shape. No telling how bad till I get it apart. First up is overnight in the Crockpot.

"Billy G" :thinking:

etcp (700 x 525).jpg

HMMMM tastes like chicken. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Billy G" :whistle:

peasoup (700 x 525).jpg

Back