Solidworks Student Edition Install Problem

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've burned a zillion hours trying to figure out the problem installing SolidWorks Student 2023, and I'm hoping you can help. The first issue happened during the Electrical part. It said it couldn't connect to SQL server. I found videos renaming it, but it didn't work for me. My computer has several folders of various years of SQL server, with 2019 being the most recent. I didn't delete any of them for fear of screwing something up, but I did install the latest 2022 Express version from Microsoft. It appeared to install correctly.

I deleted SolidWorks and reinstalled it. I got the same Electrical error message but was able to choose a path and it seemed to install correctly. The issue is when I open SolidWorks. It appears to open normally, but when I try to open a new file to create a part, the program seems to lock up. I don't get an error message, but the hour glass where the cursor is stays on and nothing happens, even if I let it run for 10 minutes.

Suggestions?

Man, what's tough about this is SW's sldim installation manger has gone through more changes than I can track. It's like every new edition of SW has a whole new set of hoops to jump through. There may be a sldim script file where you can fix paths, but it might be a registry issue too.

With the student version, do you have access to support?

Man, what's tough about this is SW's sldim installation manger has gone through more changes than I can track. It's like every new edition of SW has a whole new set of hoops to jump through. There may be a sldim script file where you can fix paths, but it might be a registry issue too.

With the student version, do you have access to support?
No support. There's a number for the company, and I'm going to give it a try. It's quite frustrating. I bought it a few years ago when it wasn't Windows 11 compatible, so I lost out there. Now this.

I am running Win 7 on my good shop laptop just so I can keep SW 2019. It's gotten ridiculously hard to keep a copy running when they constantly overhaul their subscription schemes and copy protection. The jerks.

Do you have a bunch invested in solidworks files? Or can you try a different program? Hope you get it going though, migration to a different program is not fun.

Do you have a bunch invested in solidworks files? Or can you try a different program? Hope you get it going though, migration to a different program is not fun.
I don't. I was tinkering with FreeCAD after I had my Win 11 SW issue. It's interesting that it seems SW is more or less the industry standard, yet there is so much posted on installation issues and fixes. Perhaps their professional version is better, but I'm just doing this because I find it interesting and want to learn parametric modeling. I want to get into 3-D printing one of these days (years LOL) For the price I got on the student version, it seemed like a no-brainer. If I can't get help from the company, I'll explore other programs.

I don't. I was tinkering with FreeCAD after I had my Win 11 SW issue. It's interesting that it seems SW is more or less the industry standard, yet there is so much posted on installation issues and fixes. Perhaps their professional version is better, but I'm just doing this because I find it interesting and want to learn parametric modeling. I want to get into 3-D printing one of these days (years LOL) For the price I got on the student version, it seemed like a no-brainer. If I can't get help from the company, I'll explore other programs.
That's most fortunate for you, at least you aren't being held hostage by your files. I've been futzing with FreeCAD, it does more than I need at the moment. I had been putting off 3d printing until I learned CAD. Once I learned CAD I got a printer. Learning CAD has been empowering, I think of something, draw it and either print it or machine it from the drawing. Quite gratifying.

As a hobbyist FreeCAD is fine. No it's not as slick or refined as a commercial product, but it's serviceable, which is good enough for me. Even learned how to do some FEA with it.

Sooner or later Solidworks is going to break my will. Too bad, I really paid into it by committing to learn 20 years ago. I know that Fusion has everything SW does, in a better offering for little pipsqueaks like us. I'd have conquered it a couple yeas back if it weren't an autodesk derivative. I guess it really matters what brand name was on your baby pacifier, it's not as easy when you cut your teeth on one to use the other.

For historical reasons, I just don't trust Autodesk. They also don't support Linux, so it's not an option for me. It's not that I am a FreeCAD fan boy, it certainly could use polishing, but it's one of the few functional solutions available for Linux users. Do you get what you paid for? In my case I get far more than what I paid. I get a functional CAD for no cost. Seems ok to me.

My student version (some years ago) 'timed out' after only a year. You may be fighting an obstacle that's there intentionally.

GsT

Back