Solidworks Student Edition Install Problem

Well, give it a few more years and the only thing we'll be able to install on our machines is bona fide adware and products with expiry dates, but at least it'll be linked with our credit cards and social media so ransoms and renewals will be easy to manage.

Well, give it a few more years and the only thing we'll be able to install on our machines is bona fide adware and products with expiry dates, but at least it'll be linked with our credit cards and social media so ransoms and renewals will be easy to manage.
II still have all the tools for my PAD's system, I'll just start using it again....

I think there's been enough push back on the SaaS (Software as a (dis)Service) model that a lot of vendors are now offering a 'you own it' option. I see that frequently in (ironically) software development tools, but CAD as well. Alibre, for instance. I don't think SaaS is going to completely take over the marketplace. If it has a bright side I think that it's driving demand for better open-source software.

GsT

I think there's been enough push back on the SaaS (Software as a (dis)Service) model that a lot of vendors are now offering a 'you own it' option. I see that frequently in (ironically) software development tools, but CAD as well. Alibre, for instance. I don't think SaaS is going to completely take over the marketplace. If it has a bright side I think that it's driving demand for better open-source software.

GsT

Alibre has always been a one time purchase license but you have to buy maintenance in order to get access to updates.

They've just recently, in the last few weeks, started offering a subscription based license that gives you access to Alibre with all the benefits of active maintenance, for a monthly or annual price.

Alibre works very similar to Solidworks and Inventor, so was a fairly easy transition for me.

The downside of it (or upside, depending on your perspective), is that it pretty stripped down compared to Solidworks and inventor. But, that's probably why it's such a simple install, and is only about a 700 mb download.

I seem to remember Inventor being about 5gb, and the installer had to install over a half dozen different programs in a specific order. Alibre takes about 20 seconds to install.

Unfortunately, no Linux though.

Last edited:
Alibre has always been a one time purchase license but you have to buy maintenance in order to get access to updates.
Well kinda. Alibre changed hands several years ago, then changed hands back to, I think, the original creators. During one of those changes in ownership, if you had an Alibre license and were not on maintenance your version stopped working with no recourse. So it only sort of had the advantages of a one-time purchase.

GsT

Well kinda. Alibre changed hands several years ago, then changed hands back to, I think, the original creators. During one of those changes in ownership, if you had an Alibre license and were not on maintenance your version stopped working with no recourse. So it only sort of had the advantages of a one-time purchase.

GsT
That is what lawsuits are made of.... Small clams court in Texas...

That is what lawsuits are made of.... Small clams court in Texas...

Give me total personal liberty, or give me... government representation and arbitration via small claims court. Y'all are confused in Texas.

Give me total personal liberty, or give me... government representation and arbitration via small claims court. Y'all are confused in Texas.
If you sell me a thousand dollar piece of software as a license I own, then deny me the right to use what I own and refuse to make good on what you sold me? Yeah, I'll plunk 25 bucks down at the courthouse and take you to small claims court, if you choose not to show up I win and you pay triple damages, most out of state companies will settle up and do the right thing, if for no other reason than to avoid the negative publicity. We're not confused, we simply do not enjoy being screwed and Small Claims is the best alternative to resolve the issue when it becomes an issue.

If the software company is as powerful as Autodesk you lose. Just go search their old forums for unhappy, bent over customers.

Good luck in small claims - the big guys know how to stall you until you expire or quit.

If the software company is as powerful as Autodesk you lose. Just go search their old forums for unhappy, bent over customers.

Good luck in small claims - the big guys know how to stall you until you expire or quit.
I worked for a large engineering company that got into a legal fight with AutoDesk and won, it does happen. IntelliCAD beat them in court also. AutoDesk is typically careful about picking their battles and their legal documents are insane, try reading through the EULA.

Back