Solidworks Student Edition Install Problem

For historical reasons, I just don't trust Autodesk. They also don't support Linux, so it's not an option for me. It's not that I am a FreeCAD fan boy, it certainly could use polishing, but it's one of the few functional solutions available for Linux users. Do you get what you paid for? In my case I get far more than what I paid. I get a functional CAD for no cost. Seems ok to me.
If you're up to paying, VariCAD works on Linux and is pretty good although it has a pretty unique paradigm that takes some getting used to.

GsT

I've burned a zillion hours trying to figure out the problem installing SolidWorks Student 2023, and I'm hoping you can help. The first issue happened during the Electrical part. It said it couldn't connect to SQL server. I found videos renaming it, but it didn't work for me. My computer has several folders of various years of SQL server, with 2019 being the most recent. I didn't delete any of them for fear of screwing something up, but I did install the latest 2022 Express version from Microsoft. It appeared to install correctly.

I deleted SolidWorks and reinstalled it. I got the same Electrical error message but was able to choose a path and it seemed to install correctly. The issue is when I open SolidWorks. It appears to open normally, but when I try to open a new file to create a part, the program seems to lock up. I don't get an error message, but the hour glass where the cursor is stays on and nothing happens, even if I let it run for 10 minutes.

Suggestions?

Are you running the installer as Adminstrator? You should right click on installer and "Run as Administrator"

Are you running the installer as Adminstrator? You should right click on installer and "Run as Administrator"
I don't recall any options for the install. I clicked their link and it downloaded a zip file. I look again tonight.

With a zip, you can usually select and right click and select "Extract all here", after it's extracted, look for the installer and select and right click "Run as Administrator"

There are services that need to install as admin as well as registering a lot of the controls. Just won't work right as a user even if your in the Administrator group.

With a zip, you can usually select and right click and select "Extract all here", after it's extracted, look for the installer and select and right click "Run as Administrator"

There are services that need to install as admin as well as registering a lot of the controls. Just won't work right as a user even if your in the Administrator group.
I tried again and failed, and I tried your suggestions but they were not active/useable. When I unzipped, it told me the location, but when I checked the folder, no files were there even though it said it successfully unzipped 149 of them. It immediately went to the install dialog box. When I click install, it immediately says Electrical can't connect to the SQL server. Internet users claim this is a common problem. So I click the button that allows me to choose an SQL server from a dialog box. Four are available, but some don't work. Two do and the installation proceeds with no error messages. After the installation, I clicked to create a new part, and I got the eternal hourglass cursor. No error messages and it doesn't time out. I let it run overnight the other day and no change.

I had an option to download or request a CD to install. If I can't get help on the phone tomorrow, I'll try again and request a CD, but I'm doubtful it will change anything.

Are you running 64bit? SOLIDWORKS recently changed (I think 2019?)

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

Are you running 64bit? SOLIDWORKS recently changed (I think 2019?)

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk
Yes. My computer exceeds their minimum requirements.

Do you have the optional SQL patches from windows update? If that does not work, installing the Microsoft SDK for SQL server might fix it instead of using update. A lot of that stuff is under optional and doesn't update automatically.

Do you have the optional SQL patches from windows update? If that does not work, installing the Microsoft SDK for SQL server might fix it instead of using update. A lot of that stuff is under optional and doesn't update automatically.
I'll try it tonight. I know I downloaded SQL2022 even though my computer has 2019 and I think 2012. The installation instructions claim it automatically installs all required Microsoft products if the computer doesn't have them. I rather doubt it, and it's frustrating.

Man, what's tough about this is SW's sldim installation manger has gone through more changes than I can track. It's like every new edition of SW has a whole new set of hoops to jump through. There may be a sldim script file where you can fix paths, but it might be a registry issue too.

With the student version, do you have access to support?
I agree 100%. I like SolidWorks and have it on my work computer; but, I am installing BricsCad Mechanical on my personal computer as it give me the capabilities of AutoCAD Pro's solid modeling and also the capabilities of Inventor Pro's parametric modeling with parts and assemblies (this is also how SolidWorks works) in the DWG formats in a software I can buy as a perpetual license as opposed to a lease which means if I choose not to take the maintenance agreement between 200 and 300 bucks a year it doesn't stop functioning. The hard part of this package is the buy in which is 2100.00 bucks.

Back