Some of my stuff

Metalshaper

Active User
Registered
Hey to the gang..

got reminded I haven't posted in a while.. so I thought I'd add in a bit.

I posted my intro a while back.. Mainly a Black powder guy. I build Mule ear and underhammers mostly. I have a small shop set up in my basement and muck about down there :thinking:
I'm mainly self taught, although I own a few of the American Pioneer video tapes and have watched Herschle House build a longrifle and a Hawken. < more times than My family cared to endure :lmao: > Got to Know Jim Turpin and have benefited from a few helpful hints he shared with me!

Here are a few examples of what I do..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/MM4.jpg
My Miss Muley

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/Brass1.jpg
Brass Box frame Underhammer

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/Mortar.jpg
Golf Ball Mortar

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/PB160014.jpg
Billinghurst Inspired pistol

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/Double Set Underhammer/PA310403.jpg
My last build..

Enjoy seeing what you guys come up with and hopefully I can contribute!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

that's beautiful work. years ago a buddy and I made an under hammer black powder pistol from an axle. it shot like doodoo with a smooth bore. we ended up getting a 44cal barrel liner to open the barrel up to and green lock tited it in. it was dog ugly but a customer gave me 300 for it years ago. I wonder what he did with it from time to time.

That is some pretty darn impressive stuff. Glad your back and showed us some of your stuff. I really hope to see a bit more of you around and defiantely some more of that work!!!
Bob

Thanks Guys! Nice to receive some positive comments.:))

Kinda taking a bit of a side trip from my usual builds. My son, 20 yrs old, doesn't have the patience for one shot at a time. He is also over a college most of the year and hangs out
with some buds who are Criminal Justice majors ( he's a Music tech/recording guy ) He asked me " Dad, could you build something a bit more tactical"? to that end, I'm working on a design/build for a 9mm carbine. Looked around the shop and had a Sten magazine laying about in the collection. So starting there, I'm working on putting together some pieces and parts.

A bit of a challenge! I've done repair work for years, but this is my first from the ground up 'cartridge build'..

Well better go

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Jonathon: Very nice work. I'm sure you're latest project will be equally as impressive. Roger

section125048.jpg

Here is the basic concept drawing < about as close to a blueprint as I ever get :lmao: >

As shown it's more of a 30 carbine version:)).. I'll probably make a second one for myself and build it around a couple of .30 carbine mags I have in my stuff.
As I've said CJ's gun is gonna be a 9mm and has the straight stick mag, from a Sten !!
Took some pic of what I've been mucking about with.. but I forgot we recently switched computers and I need to locate the download disc, that goes with my wife's camera:confused:

any thoughts or ideas are welcomed!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

section125048.jpg

what kind of action are you going to use? gas operate, blow back, rotating bolt, dropping bolt? Would like to here your concept ideas.

MG,
the bolt system is "hopefully":thinking: My version of a Kiraly hesitant blowback?

the tube I'm using is 1" square outside with about .060 walls. This makes the inside about an .880 profile. With this small profile, the rough start at a bolt is weighing only about .75lb!
and that is without a lot of extra machining done on it. I'm not sure if you can see it in the pic? but there is the hesitant lock riding on the bolt.. just forward of the cocking handle.

I was trying to work out a 'cheaters' Kiraly, by using a spring driven plunger against the lever arm. This is a great exercise for my brain:nuts: but a lousy idea in all practicality.:shrugs: to make it work as I saw it in my head, the plunder spring needs to be fairly strong.. and because its always applying pressure.. it'd lock the bolt solid in the tube!! made it a bear to try and work the bolt as well, because even with a light spring it would lock fairly solid!! ( I can get some pics if your interested )

So since I work with the T.L.A.R method ( That Looks About Right ) I'm gonna have to redesign the bolt on the fly. It'll become more like a true Kiraly and use a 2 pc bolt configuration. I'll cut some of the front face off and Square it up. then from about where you see the charging handle back, it'll be machined and re-cut to fit into a secondary bolt/carrier.. this secondary carrier will take the load from the recoil spring<s> and transfer it to the lever arm on the lock. the lock element is designed to reach up and through the outer wall. Since it< the tube > would be prone to wear and deformation under use. the plan is to add on a O1 lock/shoulder to the tubing and give the lock element a more wear resistant locking surface.
I guess if I had done it right?? I'd of designed with the rear barrel trunnion with integral lock abutments?? Oh well maybe that mod will get used on my .30 carbine version??:headscratch:

Sorry, looking back.. that was a Long winded explanation..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Back