Some of my stuff

Are you making this a hammer fired rifle? Also where are you locking this into the receiver? Top or bottom. Just asking I like the design.

Are you making this a hammer fired rifle? Also where are you locking this into the receiver? Top or bottom. Just asking I like the design.

MG,

Glad you like it, it's gonna be Hammer fired! On this one, the lever locks upwards through the tubing. I'll have a piece of O1 welded in to take the wear and stress, since this tube is mild steel.

on another version, utilizing a bigger tube size, I drew it up with a trunnion along the left side of the frame.< Kinda borrowing from that Sterling prototype.> and yet
another with the trunnion at the bottom?? still trying to work out where it'd work best for the home shop kinda guy!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

OK, did some more work and need to get some pics..

one thing, those old STEN mags are huge things.. and because of the backwards ADD way I work wink.gif I'm thinking about
switching to a different magazine. Have M-9 pistol mag laying in the shop.. It's a nice mag, double stack, feeding into a single stack
at the mag 'lips'. the great thing about this mag is how slim/sleek the buggar is. Now I'm thinking converting over to something like
this, if I can find a decent extended version?? or at lest find some a decent price and do a lil farb'in to mod/make my own.. that or find a
a compatible replacement?? ( suggestions ? )

Oh I did use a lil spring loaded pin/loc to help hold the carrier back, while the entire bolt mass travels inside the tube. Just enough
to keep the carrier off the lever arm . Works pretty slick in a test mode?? I know what I did wrong on this one, so will change the lever
design on a future model/version!!

had a bit of trouble working this week.. One of my Older Brothers passed away on Wednesday.. So the week has been F'd up!!
But it is what it is undecided.gif and we all gotta keep movin forward..

Hug the ones you love.. and let them know how you fee.. Cause you never know!!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

wink.gif

undecided.gif

You might think of a suomi mag. It is reliable and can be cut down for a shorter magazine.

OK here is an update on the Bolt/carrier.
was asked for some pics to show scale.:thinking: and someone at work heard me mention my 9mm build, and handed me an empty casing?
:))

so here is what I have;

bolt head and carrier, shown next to old piece of broken tape measure
with the gifted 9mm case..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/P7240060.jpg

Bolt assembly, charger handle (R) side.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/P7240062.jpg
you can just make out how the lil interupter plunger works to hold the carrier back during the cycle.. also shows the newly made/fitted extracter..

Bolt on the left side.. showing how the interupter just holds the carrier off of the lever.. when the interupter is engaged..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/P7240065.jpg

maybe not a great fix, design wise?? but workable in this MK-I version..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I really like this project. I have been working on a design like this for a year. Keep this going. Thanks chuck

Thanks for the encouragement! lets me know I'm at least 'thinking' in the right direction:lmao:

tonight was a night off.. My son just hit me with a "Dad, can you help me with this guitar??" so the night was used to get him organized
and set to try and refinish a Stratocaster clone!

Like he needs another one:))

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

OK, here is a short ( and my first vid ) of the Kiraly bolt I'm working on.

Ok, now I'll explain.. my finger is pressing in and forward on the locking shoulder.
you can see that the carrier is forced back by the 'lever arm'. In operation, when the bolt head starts to recoil back..it cannot move very far, while the lock shoulder is engaged in the abutment. during peak pressure the major movement is the carrier and mainspring..once the locking shoulder has rotated forward and down out of the way( and pressure starting to drop ) the whole bolt/carrier assembly can recoil as a unit.. the motion you see.. is ALL that the components require, to go from locked to recoiling..

if you look back at the pictures of the bolt head itself.. you can see a lil raised "hump" near it tail end. This fits into a machined recess, inside the carrier. There is clearance provided for the motion/distance the carrier is forced to move independently.. but once it reaches that "hump" both pieces are recoiling together..

Hope that at least explains what I hope is gonna happen!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

How is the project going along. It seems all I get to do anymore is fix the stuff that the people that use my shop break. All weekend was spent re-leveling equipment and fixing one of the mills.
Any way here is some info and pictures from forgotten weapons on another Kirlay type action.
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/italian-fna-b43-submachine-gun/
Love to see some more updates.

MG,

Thanks for the link to another Kiraly!!:)) have to go through it at home, since I'm only checking in while on break..

My brothers funeral kinda hit me a bit more than I realized! Last couple of weeks, my head has not been clear. Hard to work in the lab or at home in the shop.. Thought I had it under control?? but lost focus and damn near had an accident! Figured I better stay out of the shop for a few more days..

I've started back up with a lil work. Getting an ejector plunger set in the bolt head.. and taking a bit of a diversion.. to see about making
a Pic/weaver rail ( while my mind works out other details of the build :thinking:) also trying to draw out some of the buttstock details.. figuring up how I'm gonna go about putting some laminates together
and where I can save weight??

More to come, hopefully soon!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Back