Some of my stuff

It sounds like a San Cristobal. A better choice would be a Famas style bolt. The San Cristobal fires from an open bolt with a fix firing pin. The Famas fires from a closed bolt and is hammer fired. I can send you pictures of both styles if needed.

MG,

OK then :)) I may have been introduced to them by you,, on different forums and such ??
seems I recognize the MG handle from elsewhere..

THANKS!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

OK, Here is the latest on the bolt.
it shows where I'm headed with the Kiraly lever/hesitant lock:)) it also shows the shortened and faced off bolt head.( from the earlier photo's )
the 'cam' inlet was machined manually on the mill ( it shows ) I'm not really attempting a polished look, as I'll do some hand finishing before the bolt is
colored by some means? Never mind the lil screw thing sticking out the back.. it's there now to hold the light spring acting on the plunger and working the lever.
the short angled cut out in fron of the lever, is to allow for my thumb to pre-load the lever, in order to get it into the receiver tube.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/P7060040.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/metalshaper/P7060039.jpg

I'll need to work out how to machine any fiurther attempts at the locking lever. The prototype is kinda clunky.. Oh what a CNC would do :thinking: to help out??

Anyways, comments, ridicule or suggestions are always welcomed!!:lmao:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

edit /update

here is the bolt with a lil more mod'ing done to it. < I'll have my bud weld in the old plunger slot, once I'm done drilling for the firing pin! >
P7070044.jpg

P7070044.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. A very good start. I have always been in interested in the locking method. Just remember that this type of action has a very small pressure curve rating. I do like what you are doing. If you need cnc help let me know. I own a haas vf2 and a sharps 2412.

I like it. A very good start. I have always been in interested in the locking method. Just remember that this type of action has a very small pressure curve rating. I do like what you are doing. If you need cnc help let me know. I own a haas vf2 and a sharps 2412.

MG,

Thanks for the offer! I'll have to get through this prototyping, to know what I'd really need in the end??
there is a LOT to learn.. Small pressure curve rating?? would you care to school me on this? I think? I know what you mean:thinking:
but admitingly I'm usually a Muzzle loader kinda guy..

Thanks for the help!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

People that reload have a tendency to change the powder charge or type and the bullet weight. This in turn changes the pressure curve. With the type of lock you are describing you are very limited.
An example is the Famas. It was design for a 55 grain bullet with a specific powder charge and for steel case ammo. You can not shot 62 grain ammo in it. The change in the pressure curve makes it unsafe. I had thought of making the San Christobal with a closed bolt and hammer fired, but would not due it on a commercial bases because of liability reasons. I still make make one for myself. It is on the project list.

MG,

as always. THANKS for the help!

I'm kinda pleased to know I actually did understand your original statement :)) but wanted your clarification,just in case!!
I had wondered about the load / ammo variations when I started all of this? tried researching some data on this type of action
but it's not a well known system. The FAMAS being the most modern version I could find. That Sterling prototype still boggles
the mind:headscratch: but would be a Hoot to get my hands on!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Back