Some pictures of the PM 835

I will use my cheap vice for smaller/lesser precision operations. I think I'm going to get a Kurt DX6 for more serious stuff. I really want a dividing head with a tailstock and boring head first and foremost though! Usually I can figure out/fabricate a cheap way to hold my work down so I might put off the Kurt purchase for awhile unless the 5" vice is just terrible.

i like the idea of using the bigger jaws and parallels as long as you dont have chatter problems ,using fixtures on the table for production runs allways makes sence

I mostly do hobby gunsmithing and various small projects for the home/shop, so oftentimes the longest piece I am putting in the chuck is a 6" slide for a 1911. Making fixtures can stretch my work envelope though. I'm not hogging massive amounts of material from a chunk of billet.

If I needed that kind of work done I'd have bought a much larger mill and lathe, AND slapped the biggest vise on there I could find. :)

This is just my experience, and the suggestion of the oversize jaws on a smaller vise was more for those who don't typically work with large parts.

OK, now I guess the next thing that seems to have come up is a power feed on the X axis. What is everybody’s opinion on this, is it worth me dumping about an extra 3C notes to get it? I figure I’m real close to about 5K right now and only need a few hundred more to get there, I’ve already ordered the 835, the Homge 5 inch vice, the collet set,The elastomer feet,the clamping set, a Percision drill spindle And I still haven’t gotten any milling bits yet. But, I suppose getting there is half the fun, and it’s an interesting diversion from my unusually stressful practice, so why not

Tooling up a mill gets expensive quick. DRO before the power feeds seems to be the basic concencious around here. While I am sure the handheld are very tight and no backlash on your machine, counting revs gets old quick.
The first set of end mills, get the cheap Chinese, you'll break them and it won't hurt as much as good endmills.
By learning to crank the handles manual, you will learn more about the machine and how it cuts different materials. You can get the power feeds down the road if you really need them.

Just some well meaning suggestions for you.

Enjoy that mill!

If you have the money, then go for it. :)

Matt tells me that the 5 inch Homge will be in by the end of the week. I will go with the advice and get a DRO first, then get a feel for the machine before I go to the power feed. I can I think I will also buy some of the Chinese end mill so I can practice busting a few before I learn find the fine art of machining. Is eBay about the best source for those too?

Never heard of aliexpress, but the prices seem almost to good to be true. Wonder what country they are in?

Never heard of aliexpress, but the prices seem almost to good to be true. Wonder what country they are in?
Aliexpress is the Ebay of China. (oversimplification, but not too far from reality). Like Ebay if you find a good seller you can get good stuff at great prices. I don't have any experience, but there are several folks that have successfully purchased DROs and power feeds from Aliexpress.

Matt tells me that the 5 inch Homge will be in by the end of the week.
What's the thought on having a vise with rotation capability? I wouldn't think I'd use it, and it takes up Z space, but maybe it could be more useful than I think?

Back