Soon to be a PM-935T-S owner

There is a few of those on youtube as well, like I say seems to be more to gain height on the mill. The feet have a rating of 5,000 pounds I think and you use a washer on the base so that cuts the PSI on the base by a third? This is how I did mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM_kaR7fOQs

Hey Sparky...

Looks like JohnnyC14 built something very similar and functional for his PM932.

PM932 Arrival thread pictures.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showt...w-PM32PDF-mill

1500 pound lathe
6 points
250 pounds per point.
1/2 inch bolt
.2 sq.in.
1250 PSI
negligible.

Sparky,
Very nice shop, I am jealous. It is so spacious.
I have asked Matt for a quote to get the PM-1440E-LB.
Great to see another PM-1440E out there.
Might be a month before I get mine.
Then a week to set it up and clean and bring a new 220 electrical service drop to it.
Let me know your thoughts and observations regarding the lathe.
Matt is very knowledgeable and answered all my questions.
He described the VFD performance benefits with a 3 HP 3 phase motor.
Very impressive.
I asked for the 2 axis DRO package as well.

Cheers,

Ted

Thanks Ted, I wish it was twice as big though..haha. My lathe is a single phase, I was not too worried about 3 phase vs single phase for that. My milling machine is going to be a 3 phase with the VFD which should be nice for speed control. I have a lot of experience with VFD's on phase conversion so I will post a video when I get it up and running.

The only complaint I have about the lathe is I have been plagued with oil leaks on it. I think I have it almost solved but it is a bit disappointing, like buying a new truck and finding your driveway covered in oil the next morning. I have had the cover off a few times trying to fix it and I am going to have to take it off once more as one of the gear change dials is still not right as both the screws are running in the A position.

The same lathe up here with a different tag on it was more expensive without the DRO so I am not complaining too much.

Gerry

Sparky,
Very nice shop, I am jealous. It is so spacious.
I have asked Matt for a quote to get the PM-1440E-LB.
Great to see another PM-1440E out there.
Might be a month before I get mine.
Then a week to set it up and clean and bring a new 220 electrical service drop to it.
Let me know your thoughts and observations regarding the lathe.
Matt is very knowledgeable and answered all my questions.
He described the VFD performance benefits with a 3 HP 3 phase motor.
Very impressive.
I asked for the 2 axis DRO package as well.

Cheers,

Ted

Well the PM-935 showed up at work today...

IMG_0382.jpg

The next step is to get it home....

IMG_0382.jpg

Gerry,
I am very interested in how you are getting this from here to your shop, off the pallet and set up.
Please let us know and post some pictures if you can of the process.
I will hopefully be getting a PM-935T-S soon.

Huge congrats on getting this.

Ted

Hi Ted

I am interested in that as well....have not quite figured it out yet either! Last time I had a crane truck pick up the lathe and drop it right in my back yard, however that tipped my wife off to possibility of a new purchase! I think I am going to load it on my car trailer and haul it home on that, then see get another crane truck to hoist it into the backyard. It has been raining a lot this weekend so I am waiting until the weather improves, I have the mill safely stored inside our shop at work.

of
Gerry,
I am very interested in how you are getting this from here to your shop, off the pallet and set up.
Please let us know and post some pictures if you can of the process.
I will hopefully be getting a PM-935T-S soon.

Huge congrats on getting this.

Ted

Uh, I think you better hire a magician to help sneak that past the other half...

Good luck with that.

Ray

Hi Ted

I am interested in that as well....have not quite figured it out yet either! Last time I had a crane truck pick up the lathe and drop it right in my back yard, however that tipped my wife off to possibility of a new purchase! I think I am going to load it on my car trailer and haul it home on that, then see get another crane truck to hoist it into the backyard. It has been raining a lot this weekend so I am waiting until the weather improves, I have the mill safely stored inside our shop at work.

of

Uh, I think you better hire a magician to help sneak that past the other half...

Good luck with that.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I just completely remodeled the kitchen for her after 30 years.
Upscale hardwood cabinets, over the range microwave, new floor, special sink and faucet, and the granite countertop she chose. So she is going to be distracted for a while.
I am trying to get both the PM-935T-S mill and the PM-1340GT lathe.
Then she will kill me.

cheers,

Ted

Well, got it inside the shop....

IMG_0384.JPG

Turned out to be an epic struggle though! Last time I rented a crane truck that dropped the lathe right on the pad in front of my shop and all I had to do is wheel it inside with a pallet jack. Although painless, it was expensive! I know another guy who has a Hiab and although I knew it was going to be dicey, the price was right. Well turns out about all he could do is lift it over my fence, so I got home to a nearly 2,000 pound crate sitting in the middle of a soggy lawn. After a half hour of grunting and tugging with my ATV I knew I had made the wrong decision. Instead of throwing in the towel, I attacked it Egyptian style with planks and rollers to get in across the lawn. The entrance to my shop is up an incline as well, so another round of planks and rollers to get it through the door. After 3 1/2 hours in the dark and rain I could finally get it inside with the pallet jack. Time for a shot of Crown Royal!

IMG_0384.JPG

Back