South bend 10” lathe on Facebook.

Yes, older Heavy 10 short bed with single tumbler QCGB. That collet drawtube and collets look too small to be 5c, so likely not a 10L. Price is at the top end considering small spindle bore and short bed. I have a Heavy 10L, they are great lathes.
Searching the catalog number of 199y. It’s a 10R. Can anyone tell me what the designations boil down to? What lathe features differ between models

Too far for you, but good for comparison.
I’m not sure there’s a useful comparison there. Comparing a machine in a different region isn’t really fair. Prices vary wildly by area and machine density. A small lathe in good condition that’s nearby is worth a lot more than the same lathe for less money, but ten hours away. Also idk how far either lathe is from OP.

I’ve since figured out. 10R is a heavy 10 with a regular spindle and the 10L has a large spindle. The 10R does just over an inch. Other than that it’s the same. I gave an offer that is lower than she wanted to take at the moment. We will wait it out and see if it sells.

Here is a list of SB collets used. It will be an odd size for that lathe. Not a 3C or 5C.
2ab3a3972c92c711e46ccef75d4352a8.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Did you go look at it in person?

What about this one? https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1215902979805278/?ref=search

It’s still for sale. No tooling but does have a quick change tool post. It is not hooked up to power. I’m waiting to hear back about the gears. This one seems a little lighter than a heavy 10 but probably would still be fine. I’m nervous as I’ve read that parts aren’t really available. I hope the gearbox is in decent shape. It looks a little rusty but hopefully it’s just a dusty rust.

The rockwell looks like it’s got a reeves drive and is 3/4 hp.

Back