South bend 10” lathe on Facebook.

Looking at pictures I think it’s new enough to have roller bearings in the headstock. Do you think that’s accurate? If they are sleeve bearings Whats the chances they are worn out?
I honestly wouldn't worry about the bearings...lots of Sheldons are still running on original plain bearings. I've had two 13" Sheldons and they're good machines. I still have one, and have owned a Heavy 10L...I sold the SB if that says anything but it was a nice machine.

The one on FB is easily worth the asking price. It's got the steady and follow rests, micrometer carriage stop, threading dial, collet adapter/collets, etc and those would add up to $1,000 if you sold them. If the extra apron has a good casting that's worth several hundred as well and more if it's mostly intact and could be rebuilt. Being local might be a sign!

Edit: One nice thing about the Sheldon design is that the webbing for the bed is usually in the right place to be a perfect spot for lifting. Use a sling choker style around a web near the headstock and then adjust the tailstock and carriage position until it's level and you're set. That's also a safe way to lift since the lathe can't spin like it can if you run a strap around the entire bed. Even a HF cherry picker should be able to lift it.

If you have to do something to move it towards the garage door, be very leery of things like furniture dollies. If you go that route you need to strap the machine to the dolly so it can't slide off if you hit a pebble or crack in the concrete (ask me how I know this can go bad quickly). Sweep the floor clean, then try to move as straight and slow as possible. Sideways pushes are what sends them over so that's the critical time as you move them.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't worry about the bearings...lots of Sheldons are still running on original plain bearings. I've had two 13" Sheldons and they're good machines. I still have one, and have owned a Heavy 10L...I sold the SB if that says anything but it was a nice machine.

The one on FB is easily worth the asking price. It's got the steady and follow rests, micrometer carriage stop, threading dial, collet adapter/collets, etc and those would add up to $1,000 if you sold them. If the extra apron has a good casting that's worth several hundred as well and more if it's mostly intact and could be rebuilt. Being local might be a sign!

Edit: One nice thing about the Sheldon design is that the webbing for the bed is usually in the right place to be a perfect spot for lifting. Use a sling choker style around a web near the headstock and then adjust the tailstock and carriage position until it's level and you're set. That's also a safe way to lift since the lathe can't spin like it can if you run a strap around the entire bed. Even a HF cherry picker should be able to lift it.
I looked into the guy and he actually lives on the street to the daycare where my kids go. I drive by his house daily. He’s an older guy. The type that likes to sit in the swing on their front porch with his wife.

I’m just waiting to hear back from him.

I looked into the guy and he actually lives on the street to the daycare where my kids go. I drive by his house daily. He’s an older guy. The type that likes to sit in the swing on their front porch with his wife.

I’m just waiting to hear back from him.
Nice...I just edited my post with a bit of info on lifting/moving in case it applies.

If you have to do something to move it towards the garage door, be very leery of things like furniture dollies. If you go that route you need to strap the machine to the dolly so it can't slide off if you hit a pebble or crack in the concrete (ask me how I know this can go bad quickly). Sweep the floor clean, then try to move as straight and slow as possible. Sideways pushes are what sends them over so that's the critical time as you move them.
And yes, a HF cherry picker with a sling works Good!

I’m going to get the Sheldon Wednesday! I didn’t even bother negotiating. It had a taper attachment also. Has a bit of backlash in the cross slide but not bad. Head stock felt very smooth. Very nice old man.

P
I’m going to get the Sheldon Wednesday! I didn’t even bother negotiating. It had a taper attachment also. Has a bit of backlash in the cross slide but not bad. Head stock felt very smooth. Very nice old man.
Great deal! Congrats! As stated, they are top heavy and tip easy. My son did this.

I plan on using my cherry picker and lifting from the webbing. Do I just strap it to the trailer from 4 corners or do I need to make any bracing?

I’ll unload with my tractor from the webbing at home. This 10” has one webbing in the middle with a round hole though it. I assume that is the lift point as stated on here? I’ll be taking the drawers out as they contain quite a bit.

I find it good to use a couple of boards, (2 x 6), bolted lengthwise the full length under the pedestals to run 1” schedule 40 or 80 pipe rollers, (5 or 6 two to three foot long), to move it around easier. 3/8 lag screws to attach.

Back