South bend 10” lathe on Facebook.

Regarding the Delta, I don’t think he’s asking too much, but with no tooling, and no way to turn it on, it’s sort of a gamble. I do think it has a flame hardened bed, which could be good.

If that South bend has the larger spindle hole, it’s really nice to have. I’ve used a few lathes with larger spindle holes and the convenience is handy. It takes a little more work with a 1” spindle hole.

The Delta has been for sale for at least 6 months. So unless posting it here helps him out, I think the market for these is starting to fall off. 6 years ago he’d have sold it in a day.

I remember readying myself to drop $3000 on a Heavy Ten that’d been sitting in a storage unit for years when I lucked into a nearly new 12x24 Grizzly lathe. Have I mentioned how much I regret selling that yet? Lol

So I guess that’s something to think about too. You may just find something great while you’re mulling over the other options.

I've done a little digging on both lathes. Someone mentioned that the heavy 10 bed length of 3ft was the whole bed, they were right. Searching around that appears to be 14.25" between centers. I've managed to get by with my 7x12 but theres been times that I had to start some drill bits with the tailstock partially hanging off the lathe and many times I've had to remove the tailstock to lathe something at the end. The rockwell appears to be 36" between centers. That's a much bigger working area! The Rockwell is a little bit lighter of a machine though. I am still undecided on what to do. At this point I think I might give a low number on the rockwell but will probably be passing on the heavy 10 (unless she takes my low offer that I cant refuse!)

I’ll be sad to see the Rockwell disappear from my searches. Lol.

I think these Rockwell machines are very well built.

Grandfather using it until his recent passing.
We have to wonder how much use.
I always look at “tooling” when looking at anything. Be it cars, boats ectect.
What is going to take to get the unit to your liking.

Facebook market place has been a great source for me for all things
Buying and selling.
I bring life back to older lawn mowers and sell them on facebook.
Scored some nice micrometers and indicators also as I get deeper into machine work.

We have to wonder how much use.
He had a LMS Hitorque lathe too, which seems to be outfitted with a lot of extras. I’d assume that he’d been getting alot more use out of it than the old south bend.

D.sebens did you see this one? The bones look pretty decent, has a lot of accessories. If it isn't clapped out might make a good starting point.

D.sebens did you see this one? The bones look pretty decent, has a lot of accessories. If it isn't clapped out might make a good starting point.

Wow that’s literally my town

Sheldons are good machines! My son and I both have them. Single tumbler QCB puts it in the ‘40’s.

Sheldons are good machines! My son and I both have them. Single tumbler QCB puts it in the ‘40’s.
Looking at pictures I think it’s new enough to have roller bearings in the headstock. Do you think that’s accurate? If they are sleeve bearings Whats the chances they are worn out?

Plain bearings, should be OK. 3 of my 4 lathes have sleeve type bearings. Lathe is Similar to manual I attached.

Attachments

• Sheldon_Lathe_Maint_Manual.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
Back