South Bend 9 C Lathe Restoration

Why won't this darn thing come apart???? What am I missing in disassembly? Removed all the gib screws and gib! Seemed to me that it ought to just unscrew off! On my Grizzly lathe all needs to be done is keep turning adjustment handle and it comes right off. "No one said I had to be smart, just willing!" Hope that I can get the saddle and compound-slide apart, degreased and painted tomorrow. "But wouldn't you just know that it's 60% chance of rain and I have to work on it outdoors."

I also re-assembled the motor after painting it yesterday. Looks and runs good.

Spent all day removing assemblies from the lathe so I would be able to get the lathe out of my truck. Did a lot of cleaning and degreasing to ready parts for painting. Hopefully tomorrow I'll degrease and paint the lathe bed.

UPDATE: Just saw a YouBoob video and it shows a spanner nut on the end. To me I thought it was a part of the casting. I'll give it another try tomorrow. (It's raining! Drat!)

Attachments

• 20191221_134737.jpg
    20191221_134737.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 20191221_135444.jpg
    20191221_135444.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I cant say for sure based on the pics you posted but Yes I Do believe that you are correct with the different wire combinations running in different directions. Was that drum switch wired in and do you have the rest of the pieces to put it together?

Last edited:
As I mentioned above I've already re-assembled the motor and it runs fine. Question is can it be reverse wired thru the switch so it turns counterclockwise?

Have fun with the rebuild! Don’t worry about what others might think about the paint color - use a good quality industrial paint of whatever color you like (it will not devalue the machine - in 50 years if you are done with it, the next owner can strip and repaint as needed! I painted mine two shades of light green and the only person whose opinion matters (me) thinks it looks great. Also - while I’m sure the QCGB would be nice if you are doing production work, changing the gears is not that big of a deal for a hobbyist. Go on eBay and buy the full gear set for your future turning/threading needs (also buy the spare two gears to mate together to enable you to (very closely) approximate metric threads.

You will love that lathe when it is finished!

Rick

I'm really liking the color of the battleship grey lathe vs. the blue or light grey paint that I already have. Gonna use a rattle can for painting so it has to come in an available color. Here's also a pic of two test colors I painted.

Attachments

• img38.jpg
    img38.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191220_161701.jpg
    20191220_161701.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
Not that votes matter (because it’s your lathe) but I’d go grey over the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I think the blue is a little "blinding" and and am leaning towards the darker grey as in the first pic. The lighter grey in the second pic would show a lot of dirt, grease etc.

I didn't realize that the counter shaft assembly, before I bought it, was not attached to the main lathe as a single unit. Don't know how or where I'm going to set this up in my small 10'x15' shop. I had planned on putting it on a roll around cart but how to install the counter shaft assembly is going to be a problem. ( Kinda like buying a big boat and having no yard to park it in! LoL ) Having a smaller DC motor I could move the CS-assembly closer to the lathe. Pictured is an example of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• efc4b93e3c8496d43b5790ccb82a80d6--gym.jpg
    efc4b93e3c8496d43b5790ccb82a80d6--gym.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the cross-slide screw lock nut off. I think it takes a spanner wrench, which I don't have, and have tried vice grips to no avail. Letting it sit in PB Blaster in the tread/oil hole. Short of using a torch anyone have any "tricks" for me to try?

Found a change gear set on eBay yesterday so I jumped on it for $119 shipped. I also ordered a dial gage install kit for $37 shipped.

Attachments

• 20191222_100303.jpg
    20191222_100303.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Had a good day working on the lathe. Got everything cleaned and painted except the headstock and saddle assembly. The lathe bed was a nightmare!!!! 80 years of grease and muck. Now to go on and do the tricky work on the saddle and headstock. Decided just to go with the grey with black legs.

Attachments

• 20191223_130441.jpg
    20191223_130441.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 45
  • 20191223_114800.jpg
    20191223_114800.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 51
Looking forward to seeing it back together. I can’t say I’ve ever seen one with the feet in a different colour before. At least not by design, anyway. Looking good so far.

-frank

Back