South bend 9a wiring

Ok I'm back in town today, I'm just going by what I think the motor tag says..
View attachment 250161
I have a motor co. outside of town and I took it there and they said its a 3 phase...Now I'm unsure if I should use a Static phase converter that says its 93% proficiency or if I should use a Rotary converter and get 100% of the motors rated horsepower. I'm not sure how much HP I can lose on a 1/2hp motor. The rotary phase converter is a lot more expensive. I'm hoping 93% of the total 1/2hp is fine. What do you guys think?

Yup - it shows a 1/2 hp. For whatever reason, that is not evident in the earlier pictures. It seems strange that your seller would represent that it was single phase when it was indeed three phase. Did the out of town motor company determine it was 3 phase by connecting it - or just because there are three leads coming from the motor?

ANY 3 phase motor can be reversed by swapping two of the three wires. Not sure about what American told you? Sounds like the person you spoke to is/was misinformed or you mis-heard what they said
M
ps BlackJaques is correct- we don't know for 100% certain that your motor is 3 phase until you have actually connected it and seen it run

Seneca: can you take the motor apart and see if there is a centrifugal switch mechanism in there? If not the mystery is solved, it's 3 phase.
Mark
ps alternately, if you measure any two windings/wires resistance they should read the same, but you need an ohmmeter that has an X1 range (many don't)

The motor co.. I took it to hooked it up, ran it and they said it was a 3 phase 220.
Starting to look like its just going to be easier , cheaper and work better for my needs if I just get a new single phase 1/2 or 3/4 motor with a frame adapter from 66 to 56.

The motor co.. I took it to hooked it up, ran it and they said it was a 3 phase 220.
Starting to look like its just going to be easier , cheaper and work better for my needs if I just get a new single phase 1/2 or 3/4 motor with a frame adapter from 66 to 56.

If they ran it, then it is 3 phase. Ulma's $62 solution for a cheap chicom vfd will resolve your issue without stinging too much.

Back