South bend 9a wiring

I though about that but if I can keep it original ill go that way and a converter seem to be a little less than a new motor.

Idk maybe getting a 1/2 to 3/4hp 220 motor is a better idea. Really looking for some guidance and your guys experience.

There are actually 2 kinds of static converters, the first is simple and cheap and only gives about 2/3 power. I've seen plans to roll your own.
The second is all solid state and more than 90% efficient, but expensive. The rotary type is cheaper than the solid state.
Then you have a VFD or variable frequency drive which can be used as a 1 phase to 3 phase converter. (some models)
Personally, I don't know if I would want to risk investing in electronic drive units for an old motor like that. I would want at a minimum to have the motor tested for leakage and inspect the windings for deteriorating insulation.
Mark

Last edited:
There are actually 2 kinds of static converters, the first is simple and cheap and only gives about 2/3 power. I've seen plans to roll your own.
The second is all solid state and more than 90% efficient, but expensive. The rotary type is cheaper than the solid state.
Then you have a VFD or variable frequency drive which can be used as a 1 phase to 3 phase converter. (some models)
what way do you think is best or what way should I go? I really don't know. or even get a new motor?

Tough choice I know, why not just look for a used single phase motor of about 1/3 to 1/2 HP, shouldn't be too costly (maybe even free)
Mark

You can't go wrong with a new motor. Original parts are nice on vintage machinery, however, I doubt any potential buyer will see a new motor as a negative.

Ok before I go with the 3 phase converter box ill look into a new single phase. only Small problem is that my 4 motor pulleys are on a 3/4 spindle rod and seems that 1/2 , 5/8 is what's common these days.

Personally, I don't know if I would want to risk investing in electronic drive units for an old motor like that. I would want at a minimum to have the motor tested for leakage and inspect the windings for deteriorating insulation.
Mark
Is the solid state converter able to go forward and reverse? just had I guys form American rotary co told me that ( ALL ) converters except, the rotary are only 2/3 power and only the rotary will do forward and reverse?

Last edited:
Back