Spending Christmas Eve on HM .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Was advised to keep a low profile for awhile due to yesterdays chemo session so no family parties for me today . Don't want to get infected with whatever these days . :eek: Family in from everywhere but I can always talk with them by phone , so no biggie . What'll be on the HM menu today ? New tools ? New toys ? I could start up a " what did you break today " thread and we could post all day if needed . :big grin: Seriously , hope everyone has a great holiday and receives all those tool goodies in their stockings . Stay healthy and safe guys and gals . mmcmdl ( Dave )

Happy Holidays . :xmaslights:

Good morning and Merry Christmas to you. Glad you are taking care of yourself. Very important these days. All respond to your post with a question for you:

What is the meaning of "mmcmdl?" At first glance I thought, Roman number.... but it doesn't quite work. So can you share or is it top secret?

My company name from the past . March Machine Company Mechanical Development Lab .

Ha! I’ve been wondering that for quite some time.

Dave, I think about you often and appreciate you showing a variety of tooling as inquiries pop up in various threads. I’ll share my recent projects here.

I made some telescoping mounts for tools to affix to my fab table, including one for the bullet vise:
4ece722d0b399266ca94f78886bde0ec.jpg

You can see a Columbia vise and my bead roller on the far end of the table. Thinking about adding receiver tubes midway along the short ends to move the vises in from passageways. It’s a bit tight in the shop.

Part of the fun was getting my son to TIG weld for the first time; he welded the nuts on the receiver tube. He did an admirable job, and went back to touch up my example piece.
fa9b75e65851794e000c2803f8269607.jpg

I didn’t use the stainless receiver tube I got from you, as I want to make a belt grinder out of it. I think it will be pretty sweet to have a stainless steel machine.

I’ve been working on some sink-faucet spray-hose fittings. They are for a friend of mine to add a Tee so a foot pedal can provide flow controlled independently from the faucet handle. In my house, the hose used a 0.5” push-lock connector, so it was super easy to adapt. My friend’s uses an o-ring seal, so I replicated the connection enough to be able to insert my fittings between his (I hope). My male piece will accept the plastic clip from his and insert into the factory plastic female piece. My female piece will accept the factory male piece and secure it with a couple wire pins across a narrowed area, with a split bushing to center in the bore. Both of my pieces will solder in a copper Tee.

My typical lack of patience got me excited to start before thinking everything through, so the male side was not long enough to accommodate the plastic clip in his original. Rather than remake it, I made an “extension” and silver brazed it on. That worked great other than my inexperience and general ineptitude, in that I overheated them and nearly destroyed the parts. I think it’s okay and I’m going with it. There were some fun machining tasks (for me, nothing particularly difficult).

01dd12fb0f5516c329a4c23dc99a6821.jpg

7827bf248acfbee092abddc9dd970275.jpg

Warm regards,
Jason

Very wise, Dave. Season's greetings from the other side of the pond!

I changed a cylinder gasket on a steam engine last week, haven't had much shop time otherwise:

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_150430.jpg
    IMG_20211218_150430.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211218_150411.jpg
    IMG_20211218_150411.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 17
I made some telescoping mounts for tools to affix to my fab table, including one for the bullet vise:
Almost looks as good there as on my Foosball table eh ? :big grin: Looking good Jason , and once again , THANKS ! :encourage:

Back at you Jeff . You're going to have a wonderful year with a new place and upcoming retirement I'm sure . Always following along with you . :encourage:

Thanks for the Petersens video, I'd seen them once before, forgot about them. Very nice.

Merry Christmas, I'll check back in often.

Here's a little Christmas in New England for ya, Up at my sons in CT Mountains... we got a dusting last night, And Rex is wishing you a Merry Christmas and good health...ok he would if he could talk and stay awake.

20211224_105853.jpg

20211223_184521.jpg

Back