Spindle bearing for PM lathes.

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I plan to check the gear head of my 12x36t lathe clean it really well and add new oil. I changed the oil in it at about 2 hr of run time after break in. I was looking at the exploded views and the bearing number don’t Mach any thing on the net. I figured they are P5 rated precision bearings. I think they are the same bearings used in the 13x40t lathe since they share the same numbers. Are they rollers or tapered rollers? The manual list a race and bearing but nothing comes up for a Z2653 bearing.
CH

I think the sales pages state what brand of head bearings they are "upgraded to" I can't recall if it is SKS or some other brand. But go to their page and read the details on features of the lathe. It may give you a leg up on finding the bearings.

For the 1236T
High Precision Japanese Spindle Bearings, +/‐ .0001” Spindle Runout Max
• Only Extremely High Precision Spindle Bearings are used, NACHI (Japan)

For the 1340GT
• High Precision NSK Spindle Bearings, +/‐ .0001” Spindle Runout Max

Also says
The spindle runs on sealed, pre-lubricated roller
bearings requiring no routine attention.

Last edited:
I think the sales pages state what brand of head bearings they are "upgraded to" I can't recall if it is SKS or some other brand. But go to their page and read the details on features of the lathe. It may give you a leg up on finding the bearings.
Must have missed that, will comb it again.
CH
PS Looked again, all it says is they are upgraded Nachi precision bearing it does not give bearing numbers it does not even tell you what type of bearing they are? angular contact, roller, double ball deep grove???.

Last edited:
For the 1236T
High Precision Japanese Spindle Bearings, +/‐ .0001” Spindle Runout Max

For the 1340GT
• High Precision NSK Spindle Bearings, +/‐ .0001” Spindle Runout Max

Also says
The spindle runs on sealed, pre-lubricated roller
bearings requiring no routine attention.
Still does not give a meaning full bearing number, when I enter the bearing description in google I get results that don’t make since. Numbers that aren’t and can’t be the right ones.
CH

Those numbers are Taiwan manufacturer part numbers.

Have you worn yours out? Can't imagine you'd routinely change them out just for sh*ts and giggles. I can't imagine the gearbox needs a cleaning with a solvent, just drain and refill.

Those numbers are Taiwan manufacturer part numbers.

Have you worn yours out? Can't imagine you'd routinely change them out just for sh*ts and giggles. I can't imagine the gearbox needs a cleaning with a solvent, just drain and refill.
No, hope not, any way. I figured to disassemble clean and paint the inside with glyptal oil proof paint inside to keep casting debris from from leaching out of the porosity of the castings. While I have it down, inspect the bearing just in case there is some damage. It would be nice to see lead times for these bearings, if needed. I will also be tearing down my 932m PDF head to fix a sever oil leak around the spindle, and possibly the gear shifter rods. Winter is a good time to do this stuff.
CH

I use mine year round. Never suspected casting debris to be a problem as I haven't seen any in oil. Probably a reason why there aren't any posts on bearing numbers as nobody has changed them. Could probably contact PM and they'd be able to give you numbers. I bet you'll choke a little when they give you prices.

Must have missed that, will comb it again.
CH
PS Looked again, all it says is they are upgraded Nachi precision bearing it does not give bearing numbers it does not even tell you what type of bearing they are? angular contact, roller, double ball deep grove???.

Not sure why I'm reading manual for you.
From the manual.
The spindle has a 1-9/16 in. clearance bore and MT5 internal taper. It runs in tapered-roller bearings

Unless there is a bearing problem, there is no way I'd mess with spindle bearings. I've changed lots of bearings but lathe spindle bearings are very finicky to get the preload and everything right. Precision bearings running in oil should last nearly forever and any grit washes out with the oil. I have lathes 75 years old and have been warned that if the spindle runs true and the bearings only get warm, it may have taken days to get them right by machinists trained to do it and I'm far from that. It is very easy to turn an imaginary problem into a real one when messing with this stuff. Dave

Back