Spindle bearing for PM lathes.

I agree with Dave, and would avoid messing with the bearings
-M

Not sure why I'm reading manual for you.
From the manual.
The spindle has a 1-9/16 in. clearance bore and MT5 internal taper. It runs in tapered-roller bearings
Oh yeah read that too! Now whitch set of the 10,000,000 tapered rollers bearings is the right ones?
CH.

Unless there is a bearing problem, there is no way I'd mess with spindle bearings. I've changed lots of bearings but lathe spindle bearings are very finicky to get the preload and everything right. Precision bearings running in oil should last nearly forever and any grit washes out with the oil. I have lathes 75 years old and have been warned that if the spindle runs true and the bearings only get warm, it may have taken days to get them right by machinists trained to do it and I'm far from that. It is very easy to turn an imaginary problem into a real one when messing with this stuff. Dave
The first time I cleaned and replaced oil, I put 3 rare earth 25mm magnets in the bottom to trap any metal or magnetic debris. I want see just how much they trapped, as I cleaned the gear box very well on the first cleaning after break in. I ran the lathe a lot this spring through most of this fall. I machined a lot of 4140 this year got a deal a few years ago, with prices out in space I wanted to use some of it. So it needs a good cleaning. Plus I have the mill down for new oil and seals. So most likely until I get some heat in the shop I won’t be doing much out there, in in sub teens.
CH

I agree with Dave, and would avoid messing with the bearings
-M
No problem, what ever works for you man. I have done the Bearings in 2 other lathes I have owned., so been there don that and have both tee shirts.”
CH

Since this isn't your first Rodeo, post a thread if you get into the spindle bearing swap. I would enjoy it but I may be a cult of one. There should be a parts drawing and bearing info available from PM. My machines are usually no longer supported so detailed literature is all I ever have but you should have lots of help here. Dave

The manual that came with mine lists the bearings as 30212 and 30211. Those are tapered roller bearings and should be open and not sealed since there is an oil passage in the top of the headstock casting to feed the bearings, and the drawing shows return passages in the bearing covers. I also got oil out of the headstock when bringing it into my basement, so there are not seals on the shafts either.

The manual that came with mine lists the bearings as 30212 and 30211. Those are tapered roller bearings and should be open and not sealed since there is an oil passage in the top of the headstock casting to feed the bearings, and the drawing shows return passages in the bearing covers. I also got oil out of the headstock when bringing it into my basement, so there are not seals on the shafts either.
Your manual new or the older version? I got my lathe a few years ago. I read that thing cover to cover and never seen those part numbers.
Thanks again.
CH

Your manual new or the older version? I got my lathe a few years ago. I read that thing cover to cover and never seen those part numbers.
Thanks again.
CH
I got mine last December. The manual doesn’t have a date or version number, so can’t tell how old it is, but the bearing numbers are on page 26.

Back