Spindle speed

Would the Shars brand of ER32 collets be worth considering?

G, you may not get an answer to your question because it is buried in this thread. Why not post a new thread asking which collet sets the guys would recommend?

I am using and enjoying the R8-ER40 in my Mill. ER40 has 1" (25mm) capability while ER-32 stops at 0.8" (20mm).
You don't say whaty size your mill is, As others have already said ER 32 is about the max practical size for his mill, so not much pioint wasting money on a larger, more expensive unit that he wouldn't or shouldn't be using on his mill'

Mikey and Bob, I ordered a set of Tecknics collets. I know these parts are mid grade tooling but I think they’ll serve my low grade self well.

G'day Geerbangr, They should be quite good enough for what you are trying to acheive. we understand you're not trying to acheive toolroom standards, so why waste the money, I'm sure there are other things you would like to spend it on. Good luck and happy chip making. Don't forget to post up the results and comments on things you have learned on the way

Late to the party but Glacern sells their R8 ER32 chuck for $89.99 on their own website.
7D61DC89-6571-42A4-9BA7-18F583E6A79F.png

Mikey and Bob, I ordered a set of Tecknics collets. I know these parts are mid grade tooling but I think they’ll serve my low grade self well.

Good choice, G.

Excellent choices, G! I know that cost you a bunch but an accurate ER chuck and collet set is money well spent.

This is an old thread but I am not sure I understand why an ER Collet chuck with Er collets in a R8 spindle is more accurate than an R8 Collet directly in the R8 spindle? seems to me you are tolerance stacking by adding the chuck into the R8 and then the collet into the chuck, then the tool into the collet... what do i not understand?

Back