Square Pegs Into Round Holes

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I have a Deckel SOE clone grinder
(https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/kunming-kxm10-4-universal-cutter-grinder.59697/)
i wanted to use it for sharpening HSS blanks into precision carving instruments.
this would entail putting square HSS stock into a round collet.(because i don't have any square, imperial, deckel style collets)
A) i could purchase them, or B) i could spend way too many hours fixing a problem that had already been fixed by someone else , a lot smarter than i).
of course, i chose-B :grin:

my idea was to design and test consumable 3D printed collet bushings in PLA, and utilize the bushings to sharpen HSS precisely
i designed 2 initial test collets. one for 1/4 square HSS and one for 3/8" HSS blanks
here are the results

IMG_3950.jpg

i sharpened a 12° metal munching HSS tool in less than 10 minutes, that will shave the hairs from your arm!

IMG_3949.jpg IMG_3948.jpgIMG_3947.jpg IMG_3945.jpg

The 3/8" bit collet fits into the 5/8" deckel collet
the 1/4" bit collet will fit the 1/2" deckel collet

the inspection on the 3/8 bit was good!(pictures were horrible)
i'll be doing the 1/4" bit next, then ??????

Last edited:
I am serious but no way I could accept that. Thank you very much for the offer though. One day I'll purchase one, haven't done any research yet, figure I'd wait till that time comes as they seem to always be improving/evolving. Or I'll just ask you for your advice. :)

Was thinking I'd like to have those 3d files, as I have 4 3d printers.
Problem is I have no deckle:apologize:

Square hole (steel ) sleeves are, or were available, brand name "Sturdy", Made for making boring bars and such; only thing, the ODs are sometimes odd sizes.

Another chip in the myth that these grinders are limited in their uses :)

If you are eventually looking for metal square collets, E355/U2 ones are avialable. Or make you own using Harold Hall's methods.

It amazes me how many things I use my Ender 3Pro for that otherwise would have taken a day or two with subtractive machining, or not possible at all with my present tools. It is worth a bit of time getting the settings correct so that items are printed to intended size. I recently switched to slicing with Simplify3D as it is easier to get the settings sorted out.

my idea was to design and test consumable 3D printed collet bushings in PLA, and utilize the bushings to sharpen HSS precisely
i designed 2 initial test collets. one for 1/4 square HSS and one for 3/8" HSS blanks

Hey Mike,

Great idea!
Are your printed bushings split? ...or do you just rely on the ability of the collet to squeeze 'em tight enough?

-brino

Back