Stall every 5 seconds in app.

AlexPeel159

Registered
Registered
Have a Lenovo M10 and I am getting a consistent hitch every 5 seconds. I think this started when I got the last android update. It also coincided with me adding 2 more axis to the dro. I am not at all familiar with android but I looked around online and all I found was general "uninstall unused apps" and "stop services" both of which I have tried. I think I fully restarted it as well but I am not sure exactly how to do a complete reset restart. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing it? Its annoying because it causes the speed calc to spike everytime there is a hitch. I dont use this tablet for anything other than touchdro so I dont know if this is happening in any other apps.

Alex, it could be the tablet bluetooth serial and not the app.

I have found that if I use my phone (Samsung S23 ultra) it also stutters.

When I connect to my touch dro controller with a Bluetooth serial app I also seen the data stream stuttering.

This is not the case with my tablet so it had nothing to do with the controller.

So try downloading a Bluetooth serial app and connect with that. If you see the data stream airways constant then you can rule out everything except the touchdro app.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I had a weird, but perhaps similar problem with an android app just yesterday on my phone (Samsung Note 10 running Android 12).

The "Messages" app is used for sending and receiving text messages. It works great for basic test messages.
However since I don't want/have/need a cellular data plan (and save money monthly) when someone sends an attachment (photo, video, etc.) to a test message the app misbehaves. It might lock-up for a few seconds, or crash the app. Normally I can just restart the app and then go delete the offending attachment.

However yesterday a friend accidentally sent me a photo attachment meant for his wife (luckily nothing personal!).
For stubborn ones that keep crashing the app before I can delete the attachment I normally just restart the phone and then delete it.

Yesterday's message kept crashing the app even after phone restart!!!!

I did a web search and found a solution here:
https://thedroidguy.com/android-messages-keeps-crashing-1208825

it was this step that worked for me:
Fix #6: Clear Messages app cache and data.
...and I only needed the first half - clearing the application cache. I did not need to clear the application data.

it's a fairly simple 5 steps, so it is easy to try:
To clear the Message app’s cache, follow these steps:
  1. Open Settings app.
  2. Tap Apps.
  3. Find and tap the Messages app.
  4. Tap Storage.
  5. Tap Clear cache.

Obviously you want to select the application that you think is causing issues, not the "Messages app".

Good luck!
Brian

I also have the 5 sec. stutter on my Android tablet. I'll be looking forward to your findings.

I just updated my Lenovo M10 Plus to Android 13 and I'm seeing the same issue. This is affecting not just TouchDRO. I can see the same stuttering in BlueTerm. So far this smells as a flavor of the thing that Samsung tablets picked up with Android 12.
The freezing happens "before" TouchDRO in the Bluetooth stack. I.e. the stream that sends the data to the app pauses for a fraction of a second. This is the same behavior as with Samsung tablets, but less often, and I don't see any errors in the logs.

I'll dig some more to see if I can find anything.

Regards
Yuriy

So, this is the same bug that Samsung hade since last October (just a bit different error message).
Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 1.05.00 PM.png

That red line next to com.android.bluetooth is coming from Android's Bluetooth power management.
As far as I can deduce from reading the relevant source code, when the driver receives unhandled event, it crashes (which causes the half-second delay).

There is nothing I can do on my end to work around this, since this is deep in the bowels of the OS. The only thing I can suggest is to block OS updates for those of you who are on a working version.

Regards
Yuriy

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 11.56.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 11.56.07 AM.png
    694.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I was going to get a Lenova M8 for the lathe DRO setup, now maybe I need to rethink or see if I can find an M8 running OS 11 or 12.

I was going to get a Lenova M8 for the lathe DRO setup, now maybe I need to rethink or see if I can find an M8 running OS 11 or 12.
I don't (yet) know which tablets are safe. Google Pixel definitely doesn't suffer from this, but it also costs $500 :(

I suspect the bug is somehow related to Google Pixel, actually. Google has special thing in their devices called "Adaptive Connectivity" that does some fancy power management with Bluetooth and WiFi. Neither Samsung, nor Lenovo have this. If they just grabbed the OS from Google repo and didn't flag this feature, the OS might be trying to do adaptive power management on a hardware that doesn't support it.

Kindle? I really don’t want to spend $500 on a tablet (and try my best to keep google anything at arms length).

I found a way on my tablet to stop this glitch - if I send at least one character to the Bluetooth output buffer (the stream going to the TouchDRO adapter), the adapter doesn't try to go to sleep. Haven't tested this on Samsung yet, but if this "hack" works, it's not too bad (the traffic is unnecessary, but it's not that much overhead).
I will need to test this a LOT, though. Any time I touch the communications code, things can go bad quickly ...

Back