Stall every 5 seconds in app.

Following along this thread, I'm not super fluent in Android and I want to disable download of new system updates. I see advice about going to:

Settings/System/System Update

and turning off updates however I see on my system (Lenovo) that I have a red button for "New Version" under System Update. Am I correct that the update has already been downloaded to my tablet and is just waiting to be installed or is the red button just telling me that it's ready to download and I can still block it?

If I click, I don't know whether the button will allow access to the menu to turn off updates or just go ahead and install the update whether I want or not.

I don't want to just click and try! For now I have taken the tablet off the network while it still works.

Thanks to @ycroosh for digging into the problem and finding the potential longer term solution!

D :cool:

I don't recall if Lenovo forces you to install once it "knows" about the new version. I suspect it already downloaded the update.

For what it's worth, I think my "hack" will work. I had my Lenovo M10 and Samsung Galaxy F-something sitting and listening to a stream of random data since this morning and neither registered any delays/glitches (I have a piece of logging code since the last October that detects and logs these glitches and a test rig that sends a precisely timed stream of positions).
I will clean up the code this weekend and will push the fix out to Beta.

Regards
Yuriy

I don't recall if Lenovo forces you to install once it "knows" about the new version. I suspect it already downloaded the update.

For what it's worth, I think my "hack" will work. I had my Lenovo M10 and Samsung Galaxy F-something sitting and listening to a stream of random data since this morning and neither registered any delays/glitches (I have a piece of logging code since the last October that detects and logs these glitches and a test rig that sends a precisely timed stream of positions).

Regards
Yuriy
Would love to get included in the beta program.

Regards
Yuriy
Sounds good, Yuriy. However, I was never able to get in the Beta group so I guess I will need to wait for this to be included in the next regular update.

In the meanwhile, are the Kindles (specifically HD 8) stable? I found a deal on Amazon and now that I have the scale installation details worked out (and the X-Axis installed), I'm really close to firing the system up and would like to get a dedicated tablet for the trial rather than having to use my Samsung Tab A for both the Mini-Mill & Mini-Lathe.

Thanks & best regards,

Charlie

I'll be watching this with great interest, since I just stupidly let my Lenovo M10 do the upgrade to Android 13. It's doing the same momentary pauses. Kind of a visual representation of the way my brain seems to work lately. I'm really kicking myself for letting that upgrade happen.

Ric W.

I am thinking about trying to rollback to android 12. They don’t make it easy though. Found a forum thread where someone has posted steps.

So I think I understand the nature of this bug pretty well at this point. There are two issues in play here:
1. Android power management thinks that the Bluetooth chip is idle, since TouchDRO is not sending any data to it (the OS doesn't consider incoming data as activity, which smells like a bug, since there are many use cases where Serial over Bluetooth is used to receive data only, like GPS modules, car OBDII loggers, etc.)
2. After some time of "inactivity", the OS is trying to reduce power consumption of the Bluetooth chip, thinking that it supports "Adaptive power management" (Google Pixel devices have this, so the code is in the mainline of the OS). Neither Lenovo, nor Samsung use chips that can do this, which causes a soft crash (the chips appear to be on I2C bus, and the device throws up when it gets an unsupported requiest.

Sending at least one character of data to BT every second stops the OS from trying to change the power mode, and the freezes don't happen (I tested this with 4 Samsung tablet models and 3 Lenovos). All 7 tablets have the same behavior.

I will try to publish a build later today (need to comment out some code that is not ready for production and test the affected functionality).

I am thinking about trying to rollback to android 12. They don’t make it easy though. Found a forum thread where someone has posted steps.
Would you mind posting a link to that forum page? I'd like to see what they say. Most of the stuff I've read about downgrading implies that, on tablets, it can't be done or isn't worth the attempt.

Would you mind posting a link to that forum page? I'd like to see what they say. Most of the stuff I've read about downgrading implies that, on tablets, it can't be done or isn't worth the attempt.

Link. The steps are several posts down on the first page. Did not try this myself. I just joined the beta (on the google play touchdro page) since Yuri is got a fix soon.

Another data point. I am using Touch DRO ver. 2.5.1 on my lathe. (I have Wifi turned off so I don't get updates) The tablet is an RCA running Android 6.0.1. I also have Touch DRO on my old LG5 phone running Android 7.0 and Touch DRO 2.5.10. Both of these experience the 5 sec. glitch.

Back