Starlink

Grinderman... Yeah, that is horrible. Really curious about your Starlink experience after you get set up.

I'm on fiberoptic but during peak times YouTube videos will have interruptions and run slow. It seems likely that StarLink is going to kick some providers in the a$$. Hope he makes boatloads of $ with it and uses the $ to send politicians to Mars.
Crikey.... don't do that. I was hoping we could keep Mars pollution free for a while. ;)

Just a quick update on Starlink. I preordered mine with the $99 deposit on 3/2/20 and they said it would be available in my area (SE WI) mid to late 21. Just got an email yesterday from them saying it will now be early to mid 22☹️☹️ On the plus side though, service should even be better with more satellites in orbit.

Just a quick update on Starlink. I preordered mine with the $99 deposit on 3/2/20 and they said it would be available in my area (SE WI) mid to late 21. Just got an email yesterday from them saying it will now be early to mid 22☹️☹️ On the plus side though, service should even be better with more satellites in orbit.
Same thing, same email. I was given an estimate of March 2022 for service. Blamed the chip shortage in part.
They did say it'll be a newer home unit too.

Kinda expected that even if there wasn't shortages everywhere. Few things move as fast as Musk's brain and his timelines for these crazy huge projects are never real world. Thing is he's unlike all the snakeoil salesmen of the past, he does finally deliver. Musk truly lives that old saw "the impossible just takes a little longer." gotta admire that.

Still it's unnerving to think of that whirling mess of satellites overhead and if anything ever upsets that applecart the domino effect can't be good.

Just had Dishy shipped to a customer site, will report back. My mate out in the middle of nowhere up north is still loving his Starlink setup.
Sorry to hear about your delay, I gather demand has been high!
I'm expecting the old school (slow and expensive) satellite internet providers to be bust in a year or two, there's quite literally no way for them to compete.

Wired will always be a better experience overall. It's just physics. As much as I hate Comcast, no wireless can touch them there. That said, the other systems can certainly be "good enough". Particularly for our friends in more rural areas.
That depends on where you live. I live at the end of the line for service, a half a mile from the nearest customer. We will never get fiber optic service out here. The payback isn't there. Our "broadband" service is less than 4Mbps. download and .5Mbps upload. And those are the good days. During wet weather, it drops out completely. Centurylink, our provider, says the service meets their specifications.

I get stuff from Hughes net in the mail all the time. At one point even considered trying them, but now just laugh as I throw it in the garbage.

That depends on where you live. I live at the end of the line for service, a half a mile from the nearest customer. We will never get fiber optic service out here. The payback isn't there. Our "broadband" service is less than 4Mbps. download and .5Mbps upload. And those are the good days. During wet weather, it drops out completely. Centurylink, our provider, says the service meets their specifications.
Me too RJ. My service isn't nearly as bad as yours, but we too live on a dead-end road with limited homes. Centurylink is not putting any money into upgrading their service, unlike Mosaic in our area. Mosaic is putting fiber in everywhere, but our road is one of the few in a "protected" CenturyLink area. Pure crap is what it is. CenturyLink will die out with Starlink coming.

I think a lot of services know their days are numbered, and are just riding it into the ground because the cost of competitive upgrades are outside their budget. They’ve lived too long on a customer base that didn’t have another choice.

Of course it’s hard to compete with the shear mass of resources Musk can bring direct, and spaceflight is his passion. Starlink is a stepping stone in that plan.

Back