Starting a new shop building

BTW - even isolated where you are, do you have to have inspections to be conforming to building codes, etc?
Come to that, is the business of putting up the building at all subject to permission?

In my case no. It varies from state to state and county to county within the states. Where I am, I am outside of any city limits so only county government to worry about. The county is growing, but at this time the only permits or inspections are required are on other than residential properties.

Edited to add: Even though there are no inspections required, I am trying to build it to code. I currently work as a Fire Inspector/Fire Investigator for a municipal Fire Department in Dallas County, just one county west of my home. I have seen what less than adequate work can cause.

Now, more pics on the build:

My youngest son has helped me with this. He was home from college and has since gone back again. We worked on my days off, usually Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with an occasional Thursday vacation day added. My brother also helped.

Just to show the detail of the wall. I used 3" square tubing for colums with 3x1.5" "C" channel between columns at slab, 4', 8', and the eave at 12'. Cutting each piece to fit was more time consuming than just welding them on the outside like many buildings. However, I wanted it this way so siding attaches directly to one side, and 3/4" plywood will attach directly to the inside.
wYaAaKt.jpg

We started the roof purlins, using the same 3x1.5" C channel. This went much faster because we were able to set a 20' stick and weld on each truss. And of course my wife stepped out to take a photo and caught me in almost the only time in the entire build where I'm welding in short sleeves. I know better, and I don't usually do that. Youngest son is below holding the extension cord for my welder.
y27YpWp.jpg

Almost done with the frame
yW5HEEN.jpg

VFNZLa7.jpg

Then the metal siding:
xoA2xFn.jpg

49QDeEs.jpg

and finally with a roof:
jF9YZKt.jpg

That is basically where it stands now. I'm waiting for my spray foam, then I will put in the roll up door and start the inside.

Last edited:
I assume someone here will ask about the welder in the photo. I assume that because folks here are 'tool guys', and at least one person who has seen the photo in real life has already asked me about it. In my shop I have an older Miller AC/DC stick and TIG welder. It's big and heavy and welds really nice. I had a project some time back that I needed to do some welding well away from the plug for the big welder, so I bought a small inverter welder that runs on 120V. I didn't expect much from it, but I was very surprised by the quality of the welds. Before my current career with the Fire Department, I worked as a weldor for a while. I think it is fair to say I have been around welding machines a bit. Having said all that I will say I am impressed with the "new fangled" inverter welders. The one I have is from Northern Tools and is a Klutch brand, but I have seen similar from Forney and others including Harbor Freight.

Quality welders used to be big and heavy, because the transformers in them were big and heavy. The heavier of a transformer in the welder, the smoother the welder ran. My father has his fathers old welder, it's on wheels because it is so heavy. For years I thought it was a DC machine because of how smooth it welded. Turns out it's just an AC machine with a huge transformer. The smaller inverter welders use electronic magic to transform the voltage and amperage for welding. The one in the picture I have is about the size of a loaf of bread, and will weld up to 80amps. That's not a lot in some cases, but with 14ga. tubing for the frame of the shop it is plenty adequate. I used 6013 rods 1/8' diameter I believe. I can carry the welder on my shoulder with the strap and only have to worry about pulling the extension cord for power.

A thing I am sometimes a bit prone to is "machine shop envy".
This man has got it going in me before even there are any machines! :)
Awesome!

Nice work. It is funny that you said that the 30x40 seemed small. It really isn't but I have the same problem when I look at the area. When we buy our property and develop it for our retirement home, I want a shop large enough to pull an RV in for storage and work, area for machine shop, wood work and of course my gunsmithing and reloading. The latter I want sealed and with clean air for that type of work. I am torn between windows for light and of course the view, but you have a good point about shop layout and environment control.

Are you going to add a rain gutter. One thing I have always hated was coming out a door and having the rain from the roof dump on me. But then I have lived on or near the wet Northwestern Coast for a good portion of my life. You probably don't have the same concerns.

I don't mean to be rude, but would love to hear what the different items (earth work, power run, concrete, building, foam, etc) run on your project. I have been collecting data on this from many others doing the same type of work to establish a forecast for my future project.

I had a Lincoln 140 Amp, 120VAC MIG welder with gas shield. It welded extremely well. With today's electronics the unit I had 20 years ago is half the physical size of that Lincoln.

I sold that welder when we moved. Way too much stuff and somethings had to go as we didn't know where we would end up. Looking to replace it and now they have units that can do MIG, TIG and Stick all in one small 120VAC package. Amazing. I always had thought before I purchased that Lincoln that you needed the big welders to do good work and never thought you could do TIG well with a 120VAC unit.

My how things have changed.

Very nice and clean build. I envy your ability to work with no building inspections. I am also 100% with you on building per code or better. I am in Los Angeles and I can easily count over 100 city related interactions with plan checkers, soil inspectors, grading inspectors, building inspectors, deputy inspectors, fire departments etc during my shop/office construction.

How thick is your insulation going to be (ceiling and walls)? What is the planned R value? In your wether you almost cannot have too much. Your biggest challenge might be keeping the concrete floor at reasonable temperature as it tends to stay at the average surrounding soil temperature.

Did you consider few widows high up where it will not interfere with the wall usage just to get some sun light? I guess you can always add it later.

...so I bought a small inverter welder that runs on 120V. I didn't expect much from it, but I was very surprised by the quality of the welds. Before my current career with the Fire Department, I worked as a weldor for a while. I think it is fair to say I have been around welding machines a bit. Having said all that I will say I am impressed with the "new fangled" inverter welders. The one I have is from Northern Tools and is a Klutch brand...

I bought exactly the same welder for repair jobs that carrying the heavier MIG with a C25 tank or even a 110 volt MIG with flux core wire are too bulky. Your success encourages me to practice some more with it.

...and will weld up to 80amps. That's not a lot in some cases, but with 14ga. tubing for the frame of the shop it is plenty adequate. I used 6013 rods 1/8' diameter I believe...

What is the maximum thickness material that you used this welder for?

Nice work. It is funny that you said that the 30x40 seemed small. It really isn't but I have the same problem when I look at the area. When we buy our property and develop it for our retirement home, I want a shop large enough to pull an RV in for storage and work, area for machine shop, wood work and of course my gunsmithing and reloading. The latter I want sealed and with clean air for that type of work. I am torn between windows for light and of course the view, but you have a good point about shop layout and environment control.

I'll show pics when I get it all done, but right now my plan is to have pretty much what you describe. I'm planning on a room sealed with a door for the machine shop, the mill and lathe specifically and associated tooling. Then another sealed room with a desk, and space for my fiber laser, basically a clean room for books and stuff.

Are you going to add a rain gutter. One thing I have always hated was coming out a door and having the rain from the roof dump on me. But then I have lived on or near the wet Northwestern Coast for a good portion of my life. You probably don't have the same concerns.

I don't mean to be rude, but would love to hear what the different items (earth work, power run, concrete, building, foam, etc) run on your project. I have been collecting data on this from many others doing the same type of work to establish a forecast for my future project.

Not planning on gutters at this time. Rain here is infrequent enough that it's not a constant problem.

Not rude at all, but my answers may not be typical. I said earlier in the thread that I was putting lots of sweat equity in this. The fact is I'm doing 90% of the labor for the entire project. My total budget for this, including the dirt work, concrete, steel, electrical and insulation, as well as framing and finish out inside is a total of $20,000.

My brother has a skid loader which I used to do the dirt work. My property is large enough and has a few terraces from when it was farmed that we didn't bring in much dirt, using native soil to build up the pad. I know lots of folks are going to say that is a bad idea, but the fact it that is what is usually done around here in my part of Texas. We compacted lifts of about 4 inches at a time. I did bring in cushion sand for the final grade under the slab. I then set all the forms for the foundation myself. I paid for the concrete and paid a crew to pour and finish. My out of pocket cost for everything to the top of the concrete (dirt work included) came out to $4.50/square foot of slab (1200sqft).

I have about $6000 in steel, which includes all the framing and siding and roof, as well as trim and screws. That is only material cost.

My youngest son is a student at Texas Tech studying Mechanical Engineering. He works for food, an apartment and tuition. He is the most expensive part of the project lol, but is not paid out of the budget. Actually he really enjoys the work. He is a rare individual that is proud of being able to work and know how to do various things. On a bit of a side note, I have had the opportunity to work with many engineers when I worked at Texas Instruments years ago. I can say that some, maybe even many of the ones I worked with couldn't turn a screw. My son is not one of those.

How thick is your insulation going to be (ceiling and walls)? What is the planned R value? In your wether you almost cannot have too much. Your biggest challenge might be keeping the concrete floor at reasonable temperature as it tends to stay at the average surrounding soil temperature.

Insulation will be spray foam, closed cell and will be 1" all around walls and roof. I have gone back and forth over how much I 'need' and how much I want to pay for. It seems in my research that the best price break was at a basic 1". I have been told by several people who have the insulation, as well as those who do the insulation that there are diminishing returns after about 1" of closed cell and 4" of open cell. I am hoping I have made a wise choice, and of course I had to stay within budget.

Did you consider few widows high up where it will not interfere with the wall usage just to get some sun light? I guess you can always add it later.

I never really seriously considered windows at all, mostly from an insulation point of view.

I bought exactly the same welder for repair jobs that carrying the heavier MIG with a C25 tank or even a 110 volt MIG with flux core wire are too bulky. Your success encourages me to practice some more with it.

What is the maximum thickness material that you used this welder for?

I have welded 5/16, but in my opinion that was pushing it. If I was planning to weld 1/4 or larger I would try very hard to use my larger machine, or at the least make several passes.

Awesome build, Scott! You got skills, man!

I really like that your son is involved and your pride in him is clear - really nice to see.

There's a country song, maybe with Dolly, or Willy, or Kenny or somebody which says what the kid finds at the family - is free. More philistine statisticians (UK Govt) tried to evaluate the cost of a kid from birth to working independently, went between five and six figures, and still probably didn't get the point. My son also makes me proud.

Using an inverter type welder compensates for the length of the cable up to it. The boost regulator will try to take more current as the input voltage drops, to maintain what is happening at the output. Within limits! It can eventually seriously overload a supply if taken too far. I am totally sold on inverter electronics. So much less weight. So much better performance.
I have to be steered away from the welder advertisements until the "other" household fix-ups are done! :(

Back