Starting a new shop building

It is right that you are proud of your son. No doubt a product of good common sense up bringing. My compliments. I work for Boeing and interact with a lot of engineers of all types. A lot of book knowledge and very little hands on experience. I spend a lot of time educating those that are willing to learn the difference between theoretical and reality.
Thanks very much for sharing the details of your build.
We are planning on buying property in the same county I grew up in on the coast of Oregon. I have friends I grew up with that have offered a lot of help. Big difference between city and country folk. The wife is a city girl with country mentality. She has a hard time understanding country mentality. I am looking forward to escaping the madness of the city.

It is right that you are proud of your son. No doubt a product of good common sense up bringing. My compliments. I work for Boeing and interact with a lot of engineers of all types. A lot of book knowledge and very little hands on experience. I spend a lot of time educating those that are willing to learn the difference between theoretical and reality.
Thanks very much for sharing the details of your build.
We are planning on buying property in the same county I grew up in on the coast of Oregon. I have friends I grew up with that have offered a lot of help. Big difference between city and country folk. The wife is a city girl with country mentality. She has a hard time understanding country mentality. I am looking forward to escaping the madness of the city.
Even without the benefits of being able to get up a decent shop outbuilding, (much more difficult if you're a city dweller), I put living in the country way over city life, any day!

I'm posting an update purely to vent my frustration.
/deep breath/

I am sitting with no progress since my last update. I'm waiting on my spray foam guy. He came out with his rig and tried to get started, only to find he had some sort of blockage or issue with the unit. He left with the unit after trying to get it working for over 7 hours at my place, taking it straight to the repair shop.

So, all work is on hold. Unfortunately, I cant even buy materials and store in the new building because he needs the free floor space when he actually does spray. And the cost of lumber is going up daily it seems. I'm expecting to do much less interior finish as far as walls, and still be over budget.

Bummer, has steel gone up as well? If you're gonna pay more why not put steel everywhere you don't need to hang stuff?

John

The last pictures were on 9/04. Two weeks dead in the water. The best laid plans . . .
Sorry to hear about that.

Look at this as a possible blessing, you could spend the time trying to source the materials you need and reduce your cost. Even if it means you take a drive.

I assume you have spoke with the insulating contractor, has he given you any updates?

All will work out, try to see if you can take advantage of the delay, maybe install the conduit, or hang lights, source better prices. You may even be able to purchase the materials and then have them hold it for future delivery, thereby locking in price.

Good luck. I know it is frustrating and I have very little patience. Much easy to tell someone else to be calm than to do it myself.

I know exactly how you feel. I got hit by the Trump tariffs when I built mine. From my first bid to completion it cost me almost 10K. I was not happy.

Bummer, has steel gone up as well? If you're gonna pay more why not put steel everywhere you don't need to hang stuff?

John
Look at this as a possible blessing, you could spend the time trying to source the materials you need and reduce your cost. Even if it means you take a drive.

I assume you have spoke with the insulating contractor, has he given you any updates?

I'm not well versed in framing with steel studs. The interior walls kinda need to be wood framed, mainly because I do need to be able to hang cabinets and 'stuff'. I don't see a way around it.

I did get an update from my insulation guy today. And in full disclosure, he works for the same Fire Department I do, and he beat the bid of several other spray foam installers by over $500. Based on that I'm more than willing to give him much more leeway than I would another contractor. One of the pumps for the A or B chemical went out, parts are on the way and he expects to be back up by next week. Of course its not as fast as I want, but all things considered it's ok.

I am looking at 'alternate' suppliers such as facebook and craigslist for plywood and lumber. On that note I would like opinions good and bad on using 5/8" T1-11 as wall coverings, or 3/4" OSB. I can find both on face book for prices that make them worth going after. Most listings call them 'reject' and I'm not sure if that is a problem for a shop or not.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't use T1-11 for anything but that's just me probably, 3/4" osb would work though you will want to paint both sides.

I wasn't thinking so much as framing but interior walls for the steel. White steel panels really brighten things up, lots of folks use wood to about 6 or 8 feet then metal from there. From what I understand though steel framing studs are easy to work with and being on the fire department I'm sure you can see the advantage for a shop.

Either way glad to hear your buddy is getting his machine fixed up....

JOhn

Back