Sticky Threads

CrossSlide

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for something to coat threads with that will bind the thread to some degree but not permanently. I need to be able to set and reset a screw to a certain length with my fingers but I don't want it change positions from vibration. Is there anything out there like this?

Many years ago when we had adjustable carburetors, a compression spring was used between the head of the needle valve screw and the carburetor body. The provided a bias on the thread as which resisted movement of the needle valve.

Bob

Many years ago when we had adjustable carburetors, a compression spring was used between the head of the needle valve screw and the carburetor body. The provided a bias on the thread as which resisted movement of the needle valve.

Bob

I believe bicycle dérailleurs still use this method for setting the stops.

-frank

I should have thought about the spring method I remember it well on my dirt bikes carburetors. The spring looks like the easiest although the Delrin plug has some merit. Thanks all!

Since you specified "with my fingers", that eliminates several possible methods, such as the lock nut, unless the size allows for a knurled style nut. Even the soft setting thread locking compounds I have used may prove difficult to move with fingers.

I'd vote along with the spring recommendations. It's a tried and true method.

Back