Sticky Threads

Would some Orings stacked give enough for what you want and still hold stiffness.?

I had the same issue with assembly presses where an insert needed to be frequently changed out, but the retaining screw would vibrate loose. There was no room for a jam nut either. I found super glue to be a good solution. It's cheap, has low grip where needed, and breaking the super glue down just tales a little heat from a propane torch, much less than the heat needed to break red LocTite.

I will probably catch some heat for this but here goes.

Gingerly tap the threads with a steel hammer. This will change the class of fit just enough to do what you need. Remember one word "Gingerly" that means just a little or even less. This is another old school trick taught to me by machinists long passed.

"Billy G"

That would work, Bill, but for long term adjustability it would eventually re-form the mating threads and loosen up. Might not take long if the hole was in alum or some other soft material. But we weren't given the frequency or range of adjustment desired, so is worth considering.

Good comment.

Good point Tony. As you know the Old School Tricks like this one do have limitations, but they are tried and true. The limitation of this particular trick is just that, wear and reforming. Not knowing what the metals involved here are, I am assuming that they are the same in which case the reform factor will take the longest. If different metals are involved like steel into aluminum all bets are of and the trick will not be the best way to handle the problem. Most of the time tricks like this one are only a quick fix until such a time that the problem can be corrected properly. I would class the "Hammered Threads Trick" a field fix only.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya Bill. Somewhere along the line things changed and Field Repairs as you and I know them died off. It had to be fixed right, or left until it could be done right. Since the flak on the rag threading trick I have made up my mind to throw a trick in whenever I see that it could help. Stand by, I know a mess of them. I am and always will be a seat of the pants Machinist.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Parifin wax melted into the threads and the nut run into place. The parifin dosent hold a great deal, just enough to keep the nut from moving.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Back