SW2 Analog control selection

Got the new pot last night,I didn't do nothing till today. I had to walk away from this thing for a while.
I did ohm meter both pots, could only seem to get good contact (proper reading) some of the time.
But then again there was still solder in the contacts and I couldn't find my alligator test clips.
New one seemed to read proper, so I hooked it up.
Now, here we go again!!
this one is working to the correct direction, but still "touchy" esp. toward the Higher HZ.
But here is the thing, it works weather 11 is hooked up or not. I only have 9 hooked up, to one of the outside terms. on the pot.
There is a perimeter, AIN + - I think it was, switching that from 000 to 001 changes the direction the pot works in.
But it's still funny the # 11 outside wire does nothing.
I wish there was somewhere to buy another pot *Locally* to try besides radio shack.
I am gonna look for my test clips and check these pots better, unless there is something wrong with my inverter.

OK, I'll check it out, and report back.
Yeah, I think my SPDT hook up must have had one wire with the insulation under the screw, only had reverse at first. Then
I switched them, and it worked.
Well that should not have mattered, just reversed what direction the switch drove the spindle.
I switched them back and It was OK,must have been the connection.

Well, starting to think I might have a bad VFD.
I found my alligator clips and cleaned the old solder off, and got a good ohms reading on the 1st pot.
It checks out OK, in all the readings you told me to take. Did try to call for help in Texas, but there was no one there.
Thought I would *Try* the F15 perimeter, setting AIN to 018, (digital) but it gave an error.
Pretty sure a Pot. is analog anyways.
:thinking:Only other thing I can think of is to make sure the wire going from T 11 to the Pot. is good, but it should be.
About ready to :whiteflag:

Got the new pot last night,I didn't do nothing till today. I had to walk away from this thing for a while.
I did ohm meter both pots, could only seem to get good contact (proper reading) some of the time.
But then again there was still solder in the contacts and I couldn't find my alligator test clips.
New one seemed to read proper, so I hooked it up.
Now, here we go again!!
this one is working to the correct direction, but still "touchy" esp. toward the Higher HZ.
But here is the thing, it works weather 11 is hooked up or not. I only have 9 hooked up, to one of the outside terms. on the pot.
There is a perimeter, AIN + - I think it was, switching that from 000 to 001 changes the direction the pot works in.
But it's still funny the # 11 outside wire does nothing.
I wish there was somewhere to buy another pot *Locally* to try besides radio shack.
I am gonna look for my test clips and check these pots better, unless there is something wrong with my inverter.

Well the wire was good, but not only am l a fat fingered, slow typer, that can't spell either, :rofl:
I guess I am about 1/2 color blind. blue/white is not the same as green/white.
My # 11 wire was the wrong wire at the terminal end.
I am using some type of communication cable, each wire is about 22 AWG solid. There are 4 pair of wires in it.
So, it is working nicely now.
Next I am thinking about adding a E-Stop. I see terminal 7 is S4, factory assigned to the E stop command.
I will have to read further.
Jumping out term. 7 & 8 with the motor running, stops the motor, and "E-Stop" comes up on the display. So I would need a NO type switch.
But it seems to come to a stop slower than the SPDT switch. I have my accell and decell assigned to 3 seconds, so maybe there is a perimeter setting for the E stop decell speed.
I found a cool looking knob for the pot too. I'll post a picture of it later.
Thanks for the help guys.
Tony

Well, starting to think I might have a bad VFD.
I found my alligator clips and cleaned the old solder off, and got a good ohms reading on the 1st pot.
It checks out OK, in all the readings you told me to take. Did try to call for help in Texas, but there was no one there.
Thought I would *Try* the F15 perimeter, setting AIN to 018, (digital) but it gave an error.
Pretty sure a Pot. is analog anyways.
:thinking:Only other thing I can think of is to make sure the wire going from T 11 to the Pot. is good, but it should be.
About ready to :whiteflag:

Tony, glad you have it worked out!

I had thought of a e-stop as well when I wired mine, but after adding a external braking resistor the machine decelerates and stops so fast with the regular switch I just did not see a reason to add one. Just my 2c...

Tony, glad you have it worked out!

I had thought of a e-stop as well when I wired mine, but after adding a external braking resistor the machine decelerates and stops so fast with the regular switch I just did not see a reason to add one. Just my 2c...

Thanks, I did mention this was a wood lathe right?
I have my start and stop set to 3 seconds right now.
Don't know if I really need one or not, Thought it might be nice, kind of a Red panic button ,more at a level with the bed.
Still looking for a separate way to vary the Decell rate of the E brake. Maybe there is not one. Does seem like the "e-stop" stop takes longer than the regular SPDT switch stop.
Thanks,
Tony

Good to hear that you got it working.

Thank,
Thanks for your help, Now I got a extra radio shack Pot.:lmao:
I told her I was gonna bring the old one back if it fixed it.
Might need it, I am thinking about the same set up for my Logan lathe.

Thanks, I did mention this was a wood lathe right?

Yes, so is mine (except a metal lathe) that I was referring to. My point is that with the mass of the chuck and the work, it can take longer to coast to a stop then for the VFD to decelerate the motor and stop it depending on the settings.

Still looking for a separate way to vary the Decell rate of the E brake. Maybe there is not one. Does seem like the "e-stop" stop takes longer than the regular SPDT switch stop.

I dont think there is a way, at least not on my FM50.

Last edited:
If that's a threaded chuck be careful running in reverse especially with a big old chunk of wood hanging out there! It can unscrew, same goes for stopping real fast. (Maybe you are not running in reverse but it looks like it is in the video.) Is that an Oliver, maybe 159?

Back