[Newbie] T-slot Bolts For Kurt 675

Be very careful with t-nuts that don't fit the slots. It is possible to pull them through the table. Hopefully the t-nut will fail before the table. I have some special t-nuts that have 3/8 holes, but the t-nuts fit the t-slots properly. Making t-nuts that fit your t-slots is a good project for your mill. I make them in a 6 inch or so long bar then just cut them apart. I just use mild steel.

McMaster also sells t-nuts in a number of different sizes. http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-table-t-slot-nuts/=wzgxxl

You DO NEED to get the correct size clamping set indeed! Save the 3/8" set if you acquire a smaller mill down the road,because the smaller sets do cost a lot more. My Harrison is not a particularly small mill,but it does use the smaller set.

Actually the slots in my table are 1/2 inch, and the T slot nuts with the 3/8 studs are 1/2". Don't know why the 3/8" set was with this machine-- it jut came with it--- Maybe I'll drill out the 3/8 holes in the T nuts to 1/2" and get some 1/2 inch studs and nuts--maybe grade 8.

Careful on your t-slot measurement. T-nut are slightly under size so they will fit. My Bridgeport clone has 5/8" slots but a 5/8" stud will not work. That is why a 5/8" t-nut set comes with 1/2" studs (I believe). My Index mill has 1/2" slots and uses 3/8" studs.

T NUTS CAN TIGHTEN UP BETWEEN THE NUT AND THE BOTTOM OF THE GROOVE PUSHING THE BED UP AND BREAK OUT TOO...

T NUTS CAN TIGHTEN UP BETWEEN THE NUT AND THE BOTTOM OF THE GROOVE PUSHING THE BED UP AND BREAK OUT TOO...

+1, good T nuts aren't tapped clear through, to limit the depth the stud goes, so they won't bottom in the slot.

I use a center punch to peen over the bottom thread on Tee nuts that I make, stops the thread coming out the bottom.

Stuart

I use T-nuts that are tapped through. They are a bit more versatile but you do have to be very aware of bolt length and not allow the bolt or stud to bottom out in the T-slot. I use socket head cap screws and hex bolts in the T-nuts much more than I use the clamp studs. I use socket head cap screws to secure my vice, they are the correct length and I keep them screwed into the tapped holes in the back of the moveable jaw when not in use. I also have a couple dozen T-nuts, I find that having more than the 6 that come with most clamp kits is very handy. McMaster sells them, and they are also easy to make if you are so inclined.

I use 1/2 inch, socket head cap screws and a couple of heavy washers on mine. Just make sure that they don't bottom out in the T-slot. You can also use the short bolts in your clamp kit. You do have a clamp kit?

+1

-thanks for all the great advice-
Bob

Just came across this thread...great discussion...thanks to all

Back