Tachometer Kits / Installs

TX COWDOC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'd like to install a tachometer on my PM1236 while I am setting it up. Any suggestions / guidance?

I use this one on my band saw, seems to serve its purpose. I use the MachTach on the mill but no longer available, unfortunately.

59403B8A-3200-4EC5-B2E7-0059279278F3.png

Along the same lines, I just installed this one from Amazon in a recent build. At least the instructions were in English.

The VFD speed pot is integrated into the same Hammond Diecast box, I tap 2 holes in the back for mounting a L bracket. I typically mount these under the DRO if you have one, otherwise near the headstock away from flying oil and chips. RPM meter still has plastic covering on the display. Note that all these RPM gauge's hall sensor will only work with the correct magnet polarity, so mark the magnet as to the end that faces the hall sensor. You can check it by powering it up (can use a 9V battery) and then placing the magnet in front of the hall sensor and the LED light should flash on with the correct polarity. You can use electrical tape to temporarily hold the magnet to the spindle. Gap between the hall sensor and magnet is around 0.1-0.2", these use only one magnet. They are surprisingly accurate.
20200907_210459.jpg

Along the same lines, I just installed this one from Amazon in a recent build. At least the instructions were in English.

The VFD speed pot is integrated into the same Hammond Diecast box, I tap 2 holes in the back for mounting a L bracket. I typically mount these under the DRO if you have one, otherwise near the headstock away from flying oil and chips. RPM meter still has plastic covering on the display. Note that all these RPM gauge's hall sensor will only work with the correct magnet polarity, so mark the magnet as to the end that faces the hall sensor. You can check it by powering it up (can use a 9V battery) and then placing the magnet in front of the hall sensor and the LED light should flash on with the correct polarity. You can use electrical tape to temporarily hold the magnet to the spindle. Gap between the hall sensor and magnet is around 0.1-0.2", these use only one magnet. They are surprisingly accurate.
How hard is it to wire one of these in? I have decent electrical skills on big stuff i.e. wired my shop etc. but this is intimidating!
Can you post a pic of how you mounted it relative to the DRO? Many thanks!

There are 2 wires for power which is typically 12VDC (about 50 mA), so need a small DC power supply or they have 24VAC to 12VDC step down converters that one can use power from your 24VAC transformer used for lights and the contactors. There are 3 wires used to connect to the hall sensor. They are all color coded and numbered so just connect the wires per the instructions.

MachTach install, these kits are no longer available.
Mactach RPM Display and Hall Sensor.jpg

PM1340GT belting pulleys for single speed.jpg

There are 2 wires for power which is typically 12VDC (about 50 mA), so need a small DC power supply or they have 24VAC to 12VDC step down converters that one can use power from your 24VAC transformer used for lights and the contactors. There are 3 wires used to connect to the hall sensor. They are all color coded and numbered so just connect the wires per the instructions.

MachTach install, these kits are no longer available.
View attachment 337891

View attachment 337889

How in the HELL do you do work and keep your equipment that clean? I just spent 2 hours cleaning my lathe and it's still bad compared the this.

Here's the 2 parts I THINK will work. What wire size is needed to go from the machine to the converter? 12/2 romex? (This part is a joke :) )

Wire is only carrying about .050A so use 18 or 20AWG. This is from the 24VAC (not 204VAC), wire to the converter and then from there to the input power of the tachometer. The Hall sensors are wired slightly different, essentially a negative and positive power, and a wire that electrically sends a pulse open to closed when the magnet is in front of the hall sensor. Wires to the hall sensor take about 10 mA, you can use anything from 18-22AWG, nothing special.

Back