Tachometer Kits / Installs

Next question: Installation......What is the best way to secure the magnet to the spindle?

Next question: Installation......What is the best way to secure the magnet to the spindle?

I was planning to drill a hole and just drop the magnet in. Maybe with a dab of epoxy but if it’s a rare earth magnet those things hold fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what you are mounting it two. If to the spindle, people often just use some electrical tape, but not a long term solution. If a spider, then I drill a shallow hole so it sits flush in the hole and you can use some metal epoxy. Many of the magnets are metric in diameter so need a metric drill to get a press in fit, then I use red Locttite. I no spider I make an aluminum ring and mount the magnet to that., use a small set screw to hold it in place.
1340GT Spider and tach sensor.jpg

Tach Sendor Bracket.jpg

I just have my magnet in one of the D1 holes. If I need to change chucks I just pluck it out.

Depends on what you are mounting it two. If to the spindle, people often just use some electrical tape, but not a long term solution. If a spider, then I drill a shallow hole so it sits flush in the hole and you can use some metal epoxy. Many of the magnets are metric in diameter so need a metric drill to get a press in fit, then I use red Locttite. I no spider I make an aluminum ring and mount the magnet to that., use a small set screw to hold it in place.
Thanks for the replies. Mark, that is the solution I am looking for. I'll proceed with the aluminum collar / ring. Thanks!

Here's another example. This is my PM1340. The spider has the magnets for the tach sensor, the tach sensor mounts to a custom ring installed over the spindle end-mount. More details here.

screenshot_3993.jpg

There are 2 wires for power which is typically 12VDC (about 50 mA), so need a small DC power supply or they have 24VAC to 12VDC step down converters that one can use power from your 24VAC transformer used for lights and the contactors. There are 3 wires used to connect to the hall sensor. They are all color coded and numbered so just connect the wires per the instructions.

I have the wire, connectors, and transformer. I plan to rough-in so to speak the transformer so that I can close the panel and finish setting up the lathe this weekend. I will then mount the tachometer etc. at a later time. As you know the electrical panel is a busy place. Any guidance on where on the lathe circuits to attach the 18AWG from the transformer? Thank you!!!!

After seeing the two lathes above I'm going off somewhere and hanging my head in shame...

Back