Tachometer Kits / Installs

How difficult would it be to use one of these kits readouts to replace the one that came in my 833TV mill? Now that I've used this thing some I'm finding the digital readout isn't very easy to read when the bright shop lights are on. It's reading 394 RPM's in this photo....

Tach Readout.jpg

So far nothing as pretty as what others have installed, but here what I've done so far. The display is "permanently" installed, the sensor, not so much, but a simple set-up to determine that it works and will run well this way:

Tach operating.PNG

It was working great for a while, then it started doing this:
Tach malfunctioning.PNG

The display goes blank for a few seconds, then the right digit fades in, then the next digit fades in, then it comes back for a while. This cycle repeats every 3 or 5 minutes. Any thoughts about what might be happening?

How difficult would it be to use one of these kits readouts to replace the one that came in my 833TV mill?
I would get some Matt anti-glare screen plastic typically used on phones screens and tablet screens. They have a self adhesive back, cut it to fit the tach display window, some have slight darkening or color enhancement filters. The plastic one for phone screens are a few $, worth a try. The tach pickup on mills varies, some use an output from the drive that runs the tach display, others use a hall sensor and magnet(s) on the spindle. The latter is doable but can be a challenge on a mill. Mills with a back gear, you need to have a tach pickup off the bottom of the spindle.

The tach I bought (the one in post 12) says it requires 8-24v 40 mA.
I have a variable voltage power supply but it produces 2100 mA.
I noticed in post 9 above that the DC power supply produces 2A
Is it ok to 'over supply' the tach with 2.1A or am I going to cook it?

I would think you'd be okay - it should only draw what it needs to. Overkill, yea....

I need to find a nice small box to put my tach in and mount it below my DRO...

I need to find a nice small box to put my tach in and mount it below my DRO...

Just do a Goggle search for "Electronic Enclosures". You will find a seemingly sea of different size, shape, materials, etc. Probably one of the easiest parts of most builds.

@Spotshooter
Let me introduce you to Hammond: http://www.hammondmfg.com/EE_Index.htm
A very wide range of enclosures, many suitable for DIY kits

@DavidR8,
The power supply sounds fine. Your tach can accept various voltages and the power supply will deliver it. The tach needs less than 100 mA to run but the power supply can deliver up to 2A so again, it's OK.

FYI,
To get DC for my tachometer, I used a bridge rectifier across my Lathe's 24VAC transformer secondary coil. This is producing 24 * 1.41 = 34 VDC for my tachometer, but the tach doesn't seem to like it - too much voltage it seems. I am going to swap this for a mini-laptop power supply which will take 110VAC and produce 18VDC which is perfect for the tach and less likely to have ripple, too. I with I'd thought of this before, actually.

@Spotshooter
Let me introduce you to Hammond: http://www.hammondmfg.com/EE_Index.htm
A very wide range of enclosures, many suitable for DIY kits

@DavidR8,
The power supply sounds fine. Your tach can accept various voltages and the power supply will deliver it. The tach needs less than 100 mA to run but the power supply can deliver up to 2A so again, it's OK.

FYI,
To get DC for my tachometer, I used a bridge rectifier across my Lathe's 24VAC transformer secondary coil. This is producing 24 * 1.41 = 34 VDC for my tachometer, but the tach doesn't seem to like it - too much voltage it seems. I am going to swap this for a mini-laptop power supply which will take 110VAC and produce 18VDC which is perfect for the tach and less likely to have ripple, too. I with I'd thought of this before, actually.

I also have a laptop power supply I can use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went way low tech. Made a calibrated knob with a HF photo sensor tachometer and added pointer. Not as charming, but works fine with my LMS 3960 mill. Sorry the picture not better.
DSC01753.JPG

Back