tail stock chuck

whatnoreally

Registered
Registered
So I bought a deceased tool die makers home shop a few months ago... the enco style rf35 mill and clarkson 12-26 lathe + hundreds endmills, taps, reamers and associated equipment like rotary table, 4 jaw face plate, dogs supports etc. (another band saw which I sold) and hundreds of pounds of raw stock were in his basement which was not fun but worth the work. I know the son cherry picked things he wanted from the setup before I got there (and rightfully so, it was his to do so); mill vice, indicators, height gauges, surface plate and some other odds n ends, I know this from finding pieces of the stuff that he didn't realize went with his pieces. although he gave me a couple machinist books from the late 60s which I figured had some value but I didn't complain. long story short I don't have any drill chuck for the tailstock of the lathe; haven't measured what type of taper is in the stock, thats no issue but Im not sure which or where to get the chuck from for the best value, Im just a hobbyist so I don't need the highest precision. any advice is greatly appreciated.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have used several Grizzly 1/2" keyless chucks. Combined runout for chuck plus MT3 - JT6 adapter is a little over .001". The specific chuck that I have used is their G8234.

whatnoreally

Registered
Registered
so just to feel a little silly I went and measured the taper to find out it is indeed a #2 which I thought "oh Iv got an arbor for that and a retired princess auto chuck (run out measured in fractions lol) just to get me rolling while waiting"... well while looking for a key for it I came across a rohm chuck in one of the drawers of stuff. its solid hefty chuck and adds quite a bit of stick out to the tailstock but money well saved lol. thanks for the input anyways.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock